Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Will SEP be supported on Win 2000 when it goes out of support in July

Posted Apr 13, 2010 04:34 AM
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know what Symantec's position will be with respect to supporting SEP on Windows 2000 after 13-Jul-2010 when Win 2K goes out of support?
    Thanks
    Dave

• 2.  RE: Will SEP be supported on Win 2000 when it goes out of support in July

• 3.  RE: Will SEP be supported on Win 2000 when it goes out of support in July

Posted Apr 13, 2010 05:15 AM
    Hi Dave,

Just speaking in general terms: Symantec products are put through a comprehensive array of QA tests before being released, but are usually not tested on platforms that are not supported or not publicly available. 

If Microsoft is dropping Windows 2000, then I would expect that future releases of SEP won't be tested/certified against Windows 2000.  Releases that have been OK'ed against Win2K (like SEP 11 RU5) should still be supported, but if there's evidence that the root of any problem comes from the OS rather than the Symantec product I think you'll be out of luck.  It'd be a good idea to start migrating away from Win2k to a platform that future releases of SEP will be certified on.

Some more info: System Requirements for Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 and Symantec Network Access Control 11.0.5

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 4.  RE: Will SEP be supported on Win 2000 when it goes out of support in July

Posted Apr 13, 2010 06:13 AM
    I am with you all the way, I have advised our customer that support ends in July. As MS are releasing security updates for W2K still, I believe it is very important that they move away before the point where MS stops doing that.