Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?

Posted May 07, 2011 05:53 PM

Used to be in SEPM 11.x Console under Clients, Find Unmanaged Computers.  Now I cannot find it anywhere in SEP 12.1 Enterprise.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?
    Best Answer

Posted May 07, 2011 06:19 PM

Hi DaveVe,

With SEP12, we decided to merge the old clientremote tool and Find Unmanaged Computers into one.  The new version is called the Client Deployment Wizard.

You can find it in two places - first from the Home screen, choose "Install Protection Client to Computers" from the "Common Tasks" drop down at the top right, or alternatively, from the Clients tab, when you are in the client list, click "Add a Client" on the left hand side, just above "Add computer account"

Both will launch the CDW and allow you to search your network, find all your PC's and helps you deploy the right client to each one.

Give it a go and let us know what you think!

thanks

• 3.  RE: Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?

Posted May 07, 2011 06:57 PM
      |   view attached

Well, to be honest, I find it kind of backwards.   I don’t know the kind of protection (32or 64 bit, which group, which settings, etc.) until AFTER I do the search so choosing all that before I get to do a search is not helpful.    I need to do the search and then select one or more PCs and then select which kind of install I want to do.

Also, with the 12.1 Search display screen (see attached), I do not know from looking at the left box which of the PCs are managed or not until I add one or more of them to the “Install Client Protection On “ (right) side of the screen which, again, is way too late in the searching. 

Finding the PCs and identifying which of them is managed or not or unknown needs to be first and then let me select which ones I want to do something with and how I want to roll out the client much like the old Search for Unmanaged Computer used to work.   Search first and separate unmanaged from managed PCs and then let me select and install/upgrade.

That being said, the search is much faster than it used to be and is finding all the items on my network when it used to not find some of them.   Excellent improvement in this area.

Thanks.

Attachment(s)

docx
    SEP Unmanaged Search.docx   100 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?

Posted May 08, 2011 09:00 AM

Also, if I am looking for unmanaged PCs on my network and do a search on an entire subnet (10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.254 I get 200 responses and do not know which ones are unmanaged without adding them all to the right box.

• 5.  RE: Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?

Posted May 09, 2011 04:52 AM

I totally agree with DaveVe. I should provide info to local IT of which clients are unmanaged. I hoped the find unmanaged clients function had improved but it has not.

Deciding first which package to install is not logical.

And the fact that you first have to select the clients to install to see the current version (or unmanaged status) is not logical either. Moreover because I don't have rights to many clients to install the client, so I never get to see the status of those.

Using the unmanaged detectors is not an option for me because of the large network, causing too much manual administration and it gives many false positives. Although I haven't tested it in 12.1 yet.

• 6.  RE: Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?

Posted May 09, 2011 06:06 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  We have made efforts to improve the efficiency of finding computers on the network, automatically deploying 32/64 bit software, and identifying existing protection software in the new Client Deployment Wizard (CDW).  We tried to capture relevant use-cases from the old Find Unmanaged Computers screen, however based on your comments I see two use cases that we might need to cover better:

1) Filter out already managed computers that are found from the list.

2) Be able to configure group assignment and other settings for software package that gets deployed to an unmanaged computer.  With respect to this, please note that the typical search is within a subnet. (Note that the deployment wizard will automatically deploy 32 or 64 bit client packages correctly to the target system).

Thanks for the feedback, we will look at these use cases and see where we can make improvements.  Hopefully the new logic of selecting a client package that is relevant for a subnet you plan on searching won't be too much of a hassle, especially since 32 bit and 64 bit packages will be automatically deployed to the correct target.  Feel free to add other use-cases with the SEP 11 Find Unmanaged Computers that might be missing in the new CDW.

thanks,

Marcus Brownell, Sr. Regional Product Manager, Enterprise Security Group, Symantec

• 7.  RE: Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?

Posted May 09, 2011 11:28 PM

Thanks Marcus for this information, but one request for find unmanage detector for more easiest way to see unmanage clients which before it was shows but not correctly.

• 8.  RE: Where is Find Unmanaged Computers in SEP 12.1 Enterprise Beta?

Posted May 12, 2011 10:37 PM

Look like your plans would work for us.   The important part for us is to to be able to search for unmanaged clients and then deploy a specific client to them in a specifi group/options/etc. after the search.