Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Migration User

Migration UserAug 18, 2011 08:50 AM

ℬrίαη

ℬrίαηAug 18, 2011 11:44 AM

• 1.  Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Jul 21, 2011 10:54 AM

Please don't tell me that 12.1's "Add a client" wizard is the replacement for 11.x's "Find unmanaged computers" tool. What took 10 seconds to deploy SEP to a new machine now takes minutes and in some cases doesn't even work at all. If it's been replaced, please bring the old wizard back.

Edit:
    Here is the Ideas post, per suggestion. Please vote to bring the 11.x wizard back!

• 2.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 21, 2011 01:31 PM

Hello,

Please check this Link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/where-find-unmanaged-computers-sep-121-enterprise-beta

The new version is called the Client Deployment Wizard.

You can find it in two places - first from the Home screen, choose "Install Protection Client to Computers" from the "Common Tasks" drop down at the top right, or alternatively, from the Clients tab, when you are in the client list, click "Add a Client" on the left hand side, just above "Add computer account"

• 3.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Jul 24, 2011 05:38 PM

Hi Mithun,

On trying to follow your link I get the following error:

"We're sorry, but the author of this page has restricted access to it.

If you have questions about why you can't access this page, please contact us."

Also the solution you provided does not provide the same functionality as the "Find Unmanaged Computers" option in the SEPM 11.x versions.

It assumes you know the client ID and can manually locate the client to push out the update. Find Unmanaged Computers would previously 'sniff' the network for ALL clients not running the SEP agent and give you the option to deploy. This functionality was very usefully and important and would be great if it could be restored or place somewhere a little more obvious.  

• 4.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 18, 2011 07:30 AM

Hello,

Let me copy the same what .. Paul Murgatroyd writes

Here is it:

"With SEP12, we decided to merge the old clientremote tool and Find Unmanaged Computers into one.  The new version is called the Client Deployment Wizard.

You can find it in two places - first from the Home screen, choose "Install Protection Client to Computers" from the "Common Tasks" drop down at the top right, or alternatively, from the Clients tab, when you are in the client list, click "Add a Client" on the left hand side, just above "Add computer account"

Both will launch the CDW and allow you to search your network, find all your PC's and helps you deploy the right client to each one.

Give it a go and let us know what you think!

thanks"

Hope this Helps!!!

• 5.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 07:38 AM

Please check the article I wrote on this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/client-deployment-wizard-sep-121

• 6.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 08:50 AM

Check below  it  this helps you

• 7.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 11:06 AM

@Swapnil: The new wizrad is inefficient. As I said before what took seconds before now takes much, much longer. Right now the vote is 5:1 - this new method is worse. Bring back the old Find Unmanaged Wizard!!

• 8.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 11:44 AM

It's not coming back, I can confirm that.

• 9.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 12:04 PM

This would be an enhancement request. Below is documentation on this process.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH95412

• 10.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 12:11 PM

I agree Cameron's suggestion ,you can put enhancement request or any change in Symantec endpoint Product

• 11.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 01:36 PM

Idea posted.....

I'd like to know why Symantec thought this route was better.... How could something that fit on one screen, be filled out in seconds and deployed in under a minute not be a better solution than this current wizard?

• 12.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 01:57 PM

I think they made it better and hence shifted out to a different screen, if u use find unmanged u dont get any kinds of logs, it would just say Failed. its explained in this document.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102342

When they have implimented this feature, I'm sure they would have gone through lot of checks, to make sure of product enhancement, You got my vote on that idea..Its some we have been used to from 11.0. to 11.0.6. so would take some time to get used to.

• 13.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 02:45 PM

It's because they combined two features, with more options available in one central spot as opposed to spread out in 11.x

• 14.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 03:29 PM

They could have easily enhanced the old wizard with a section for installation logs.... I'm sure their reasoning was to make room for the different pacakage deployment methods and that's probably it.

Either way, they didn't need to trash the old wizard, just have two deployment wizards...so what?

For something that is used frequently, it should literally be a few clicks to install it, all from one screen:

1. Credentials
    2. Find Computer(s)
    3. Select Computer(s)
    4. Configure Deployment Package (or better yet, have a saved previous deployment)
    5. Click Ok

Unlike what it is now:

1. New Deployment
    2. Next
    3. Configure Deployment Package
    4. Next
    5. Deployment Method
    6. Next
    7. Wait an eternity for it to build
    8. Next
    9. Click Search Computers
    10. Click Find Computers
    11. Click Computer Name radio button
    12. Enter Computer Name
    13. Click OK
    14. Wait forever for it to find the computer name
    15. Select the computer you just entered in
    16. Click the button to bring it over to the selected computers list
    17. Enter your credentials for that computer
    18. Wait forever for it to verify authentication
    19. Next
    20. Send

New technology is supposed to make things easier... not more complicated and laborious.

• 15.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Aug 18, 2011 03:39 PM

...which resulted in the efficient SEPM11 wizard turning into this cluttered, ineficient, do-it-all annoyance.

• 16.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Oct 19, 2011 10:40 AM

My question is when I can the network for clients, it brings back all of them, including the ones that have already been protected and managed by SEPM12.1.  My interest is to find the computers who are still on older versions of SEP.  So it really kills me

• 17.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

• 18.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Nov 15, 2011 04:42 PM

What used to be a very useful tool to find both machines without SEP installed AND unmanaged machines with SEP installed, is now useless.  The Client Deployment Wizard network search won't work at all if you have any Unmanaged Detectors enabled in your environement.  A Symanec tech actually tried to tell me that I was trying to scan too many IP's at once.  In his opion, scanning one class C subnet all at once was just too many.  That was just prior to me asking to have my case escalated to someone who knows what they're talking about.

• 19.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Nov 26, 2011 12:56 AM

Bring back the old wizard - new tool is inefficient

• 20.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2011 07:44 AM

Please put Product enhancement request.....

Product Enhancement Link:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/idea/welcome-symantec-ideas

• 21.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Jan 19, 2012 02:21 PM

I see the same repeated replies and the answers of:

"We combined the features to better serve you"
    "You can always make a suggestion"

Are both poor answers, I have to manage a 2000 user environment spread across 7 sites and not always well-managed, finding unprotected clients that have popped up in the remote sites is a primary component of my job.

While the SEPM 11.x console was a bit cranky at times, it did give me the ability to find these unprotected machines, the SEPM 12.x console does not, it's a huge step backwards and will stop us from upgrading to 12.x.

On a weekly basis I scan a site of 800 items, 500 of which are PCs and have to be able to place SEP on the newly deployed workstations that are not properly protected, this process is all but impossible with the SEPM 12.x changes from all I have seen.

From 10.x to 11.x to 12.x this same process has gotten harder and harder to accomplish, what was Symantec thinking?

• 22.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Jan 20, 2012 08:52 AM

I totally agree that this is was major step backward taking that feature out. What is wrong is if the computer happens to be off I have waited up to 2 minutes for it to error out It WON'T go to the next one until you tell it to so you can't just the tool run. Come on if it doesn't hit a computer in a few seconds, it AIN'T going to. if it would just on to the next one that would help. With 1000 computers in a building this is brutal.

We have to ask for a product enhancement when it was already successfully deployed in a previous version?

• 23.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Jan 20, 2012 10:56 AM

Symantec really got it wrong on this one...I wish they would just realize that and if need be, just give us both wizards. Doesn't matter, just this current wizard is rediculous. Also, I updated the OP with the link to the Ideas post I created.

• 24.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Jan 25, 2012 11:05 AM

I have to agree with the comments above. Combining the Cleint Remote and Unmanged Computers into one tool would not be so bad if there was a way to distinguish which are which in the results when you run the search. A filter to search for just the unmanged ones or at least icons next to the computers found showing its status in reqards as to whether it is protected or not would make the tool serve some sort of purpose. As it is now, it would be quicker for me to remote into the 500+ computers I have to see if they have protection or not than to go through and compare one by one if the search results show any obmissions compared to the multiple groups of managed clients I have.

• 25.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Jan 25, 2012 01:03 PM

I agree completely.  I've resorted to using Unmanaged Detectors and also leveraging the AD Sync feature with install packages assigned to specific groups/OU's. That way, when a system gets joined to AD, it's automatically upgraded to the assigned package.

• 26.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Feb 03, 2012 02:30 PM

I agree with jymtac, they need to just accept they got this one wrong and move forward.

Even a support only provided tool to scan and report back with a CSV would go miles towards being able to use the product. As it is we can NOT move to 12.x because of the removal of this component.

We're struggling at trying to find ways around this "enhancement" including multiple site SEPM consoles on different versions but have yet to get them running in a way to generate confidence a 12.x upgrade won't kill our needed functions.

• 27.  RE: Where did "Find unmanaged computers" go in 12.1???

Posted Feb 09, 2012 03:19 PM

Symantec clearly got this wrong.   Vote here to bring back the old way:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/please-bring-back-find-unmanaged-computers-wizard-sep-11x