Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade SEPM 11.x to 12.1.2 with a fresh install

Posted Dec 19, 2012 11:26 AM

I folks,

I have a SEPM 11.x server which use SQL database on a remote server to host our database of our 3000+ AV Clients. I want to install SEPM 12.1.2 on a completly new Windows Server 2008 R2 (The current server is Windows 2003). The fact is that I don't want to upgrade the current server to SEPM 12.1.2. I would like to start a fresh new database but by keeping the current sites configuration, policy etc. 

I know that I can import one by one each of my policies. But I would like to know if there is a way to start from fresh then import the complet current configuration to the fresh installed server. 

I found this acticle http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104389 which look good, but in that way I'm force to install the version 11.x on the new server then upgrade to 12.1.2. I will use that solution if there is no simple way to achieve it they way I would like to.

Let me know if i'm not clear or some details are missing. 

John

• 2.  RE: Upgrade SEPM 11.x to 12.1.2 with a fresh install
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 19, 2012 11:44 AM

Hello,

As far as I know, unfortunately there is no possible solution where you can keep the current sites configuration, policy etc. without upgrade the current server to SEPM 12.1.2.

The Articles you provided would surely need the same version of SEPM installed on the New Server either in Disaster Recovery method / Replication.

I would in this case suggest you to Install fresh SEPM 12.1.2 on the latest machine, run the SylinkReplacer to get all the clients reporting to the Latest SEPM and later create the same policies freshly.

Note: Importing the policies from the old SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 would not properly work as there are lot of different policies in current SEPM 12.1

OR

Migrate.

Reason: SEP 11.x and SEP 12.1 RU2 has a lot of difference / changes in Database Schema, policies and features.

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Upgrade SEPM 11.x to 12.1.2 with a fresh install

Posted Dec 19, 2012 11:55 AM

Use the GUP content monitoring tool to ensure your GUPs are working correctly:

https://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH156558

• 4.  RE: Upgrade SEPM 11.x to 12.1.2 with a fresh install

Posted Dec 19, 2012 12:06 PM

While I'd also recommend you follow the Symantec Best Practices of using the DR method, there is another option that you may try out.

And that is to Copy/Backup/Restore the old SQL DB to a new location, install the new SEPM on RU2, and point it at this copied DB.  The SEPM Management Server Configuration Wizard should detect the DB is on an older schema, and upgrade it as necessary.  The new SEPM should then have all the groups/settings/policies/logs of the old SEPM, but be on a different box and use different DBs.  Obviously, no clients will know about this server either, so you'll have to sylinkdrop your way into redirecting your clients.

I've only ever done this in a test environment (going from SEP11.* to 12.1RU1), so do some thorough testing if you wish to pursue this path.  Also note that this may not be unsupported, even if you get it working.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade SEPM 11.x to 12.1.2 with a fresh install

Posted Dec 19, 2012 01:01 PM

Ok great i'm glad to ear that. I prefer to go on the safest way.  Thanks for the help

• 6.  RE: Upgrade SEPM 11.x to 12.1.2 with a fresh install

Posted Dec 19, 2012 07:31 PM
      |   view attached

I just wanted to point out that as of 12.1.2, you no longer need Sylink Replacer. That functionality is built in to the SEPM now. See the attached screenshot, or the following document:

Restoring client-server communications by using a client installation package
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO81455

(The title is a bit misleading and should really be "Restoring client-server communications by using the Communication Update Package".)

The clients can be either 11.x or 12.1 (previous version than 12.1.2).

sandra