Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

• 1.  Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 21, 2011 10:37 AM

I upgraded our SEPM to 12.1 RU1 last Friday and all went well, all of the clients have upgraded fine. This morning I had an issue with a user saying Excel files were taking ages to open so removed SEP from the PC to see if it was that, once this was ruled out I went to redeploy the software back on his machine and I initally did it by remote push which is how I did it 11.x however after 30 mins the progress bar still said 0% so I cancelled it and tried to create managed package first through the add client software which again did nothing after 30 minutes and then through the export a package option, in 11.x it would take 5 mins to creat a single managed exe, this has been running for over 25 mins and it still saying "Retrieving the package data from the management server..." should it be taking this long if not any suggestions to what the issue may be? SEP server is runnig on Win 2003. I do have my own client install settings and client install feature set but that shouldn't make a difference!

• 2.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 21, 2011 10:52 AM

Please paste the install logs by going to Start>Run> Type %temp% We need sep_inst.log file.

• 3.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 21, 2011 11:06 AM

MainEngineThread is returning 1633

Meaning of this error:-

This installation package is not supported on this platform. Contact your application vendor.

ERROR_INSTALL_PLATFORM_UNSUPPORTED

What is the OS of the machine where you are installing SEP client?

• 4.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 21, 2011 11:12 AM

Do I need the log off the SEP server or off the client I'm trying to deploy too?

Mark

• 5.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2011 11:13 AM

Please check following article it might help you:

Error: "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor." when installing Symantec Endpoint Protection Client:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102665

• 6.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 21, 2011 11:16 AM

Sorry please ignore that log, after I tried to do an export, I found the .exe file and ran it by mistake on the server. I'm guessing you want teh SEP log off the machine I was trying to deploy too?

I will try to find this, however I can't even export a package to the local C drive of the SEP server

• 7.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 21, 2011 11:24 AM

Sorry I think I've confused you with that log I posted, please ignore that, basically I can't deploy a package whether it be via the push method, create a single exe to install manually and even going into the install package and chosing the export function does not work they all sit there for over 30 mins doing nothing, this isas far as it gets.

• 8.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 21, 2011 11:49 AM

Hi please ignore that log it was nothing to do with this issue. Have checked the client machine that I am trying to deploy too and there is no log on there. I think the issue is in the creation of the package so its not getting as far as deploying it to the client machine. As mentioned it also stalls when trying to create a single .exe package for manual deployment.

• 9.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 22, 2011 04:29 AM

Anyone else have any advice as to why its struggling to compile a package, any logs I should be checking?

• 10.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 22, 2011 05:04 AM

I've found that I can export and deploy the older 11.0.7101 packages no problem, its only the 12.1 RU1 packages that seem to stall. It seems to create the 32 bit folder and all the files but then gets stuck before converting them into a single exe

• 11.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 22, 2011 09:50 AM

1) Remove all old packages from SEPM.

• Click in the Tab: Admin > Install Packages and select the old packages with right click and select the option delete;
    • After you remove all the old packages, log off from SEPM.

2) Click on Start > Run and type the following command ''services.msc'' to open the services management:

• Stop the service ''Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager''; (Keep it open)

3) Open the following direct <driver:>Program FilesSymantecSymantec Endpoint Protection ManagerBin and execute ''upgrade.bat'';

• Once you executed  ''upgrade.bat'' start the service ''Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager'' and log on again into SEPM.;

Now you should be able to export the new packages.

• 12.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 22, 2011 11:47 AM

Thank you for the solution, it worked great, can now deploy 12.1 RU1 packages!

• 13.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 30, 2011 09:54 AM

Went to deploy a package to a new client again and was unable to do so using any of the available methods all would sit at about 30% of the progress bar like before.

In the end followed the above procedure again with the exception of deleting the old packages and it now works again, it seems this fix is only temporary, could do with a permanent fix please!

• 14.  RE: Trouble deploying package in 12.1 RU1

Posted Nov 30, 2011 01:31 PM

In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Management console, navigate to Admin -> Install Packages.

Select the install package to export.

Click Export Client Install Package under Tasks.

In the Export Package wizard.

Select Contents and choose Basic Content.

Click on OK.

The package export will now complete successfully.