Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Migration User

Migration UserMar 18, 2010 12:40 PM

• 1.  Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 16, 2010 06:18 PM
      |   view attached

I have been having this trouble for a while now and researched for many days on the forums for a solution. I have tried several troubleshooting steps that were mentioned on the forums and have not had any luck to the resolution. Please let me know if you have an idea.

Problem: Installation rolls back after getting to Configuring Services

System: Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, Service Pack 2

Agent: Endpoint Protection 11.0.5

Log File from installation (SEP_INST.log):
    http://www.bluewave-computing.com/CustomerDownloads/CLS/SEP_INST.zip   <-- you will have to unzip this log.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Justin

Attachment(s)

zip
    SEP_INST.zip   546 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 16, 2010 06:29 PM
    I found this in the logs
    ""restoreSPState: Changing service configuration to SERVICE_DEMAND START for SPBBCSvc
    modifyServiceConfiguration: OpenService() FAILED with error 1060
    restoreSPState: Unable to modify configuration for SPBBCSvc ""

You can try this
    open Device Manager- View- Show Hidden Devices 
    go to Non-Plug-n-Play Devices
    look for SPBBC.. right click and un-install it.
    Reboot the machine try installation again.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 17, 2010 02:26 AM

Try this mate:

# Open the Windows Registry editor (regedit.exe) browse to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    # Verify the following Reg Multi String value PendingFileRenameOperations exists under this key.
    Note: If you do not find the PendingFileRenameOperations value in the location above, this error message can be generated if there are pending changes in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetXXX\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations

# If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired exists, right-click on the RebootRequired registry key and choose Export.
    # Provide a different file name than in step 4 for the exported registry key and click Save
    # Delete RebootRequired sub-key

(delete the value after double clicking on the "PendingFileRenameOperations" string value), no need to restart the client just perform another push install from the server.

hope this helps.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 17, 2010 09:57 AM
    Sorry man, that is not loctaed in My Devices for this server. Thanks for the tip though.

Justin

• 5.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 17, 2010 10:08 AM
     Reboot the box, run the install again, its unable to stop sav service to continue sep install

• 6.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 17, 2010 10:16 AM
    I see this in the last "Return Value 3"
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    InstSymProtect::cleanupFolder() -> called
    DeleteFolderIfNoFileExists: Driver file is not present.
    DeleteFolder: FAILED to delete directory P:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC
    DeleteFolderIfNoFileExists: SHDeleteFolder FAILED
    InstSymProtect::cleanupFolder() -> DeleteFolderIfNoFileExists FAILED
    cleanupFolder:  exiting
    MSI (s) (BC:CC) [17:06:05:770]: Executing op: End(Checksum=0,ProgressTotalHDWord=0,ProgressTotalLDWord=0)
    MSI (s) (BC:CC) [17:06:05:770]: Error in rollback skipped. Return: 5
    MSI (s) (BC:CC) [17:06:05:786]: Closing Terminal Server registry propogation window. Discarding Changes.
    MSI (s) (BC:CC) [17:06:05:942]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
    MSI (s) (BC:CC) [17:06:05:942]: Unlocking Server
    MSI (s) (BC:CC) [17:06:05:942]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting UpdateStarted property. Its current value is '1'.
    Action ended 17:06:05: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

The odd thing here guys is that this server does not have a P:\ Drive at all. I am installing the Agent on the C:\Program Files\Symantec Directory.

*Maybe my regsirty location for Common Files is incorrect.

Justin

• 7.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 17, 2010 10:19 AM

Sorry, Rafeeq, but this troubleshooting step has definatly already been done.

Justin

• 8.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 17, 2010 12:51 PM

Open the Registry Editor and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

On the right hand side right-click and modify the value of "CommonFilesDir" to C:\Program Files\Common Files.

• 9.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 17, 2010 12:57 PM
    if you have any drives mapped
    remove those
    run the install of SEP 
    you can map the drives after install

• 10.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 17, 2010 01:30 PM
    I would manually delete that Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC folder on the C: drive, then run the install again

• 11.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:34 PM
    I just went to registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and sure enough the string value: CommonFilesDir was set to P:\Program Files\Common Files. I am making the change and running the install again.

I will repost a when confirmed.

Justin

• 12.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:35 PM
    Turned off the Mapped Drive P:\ and ran install. Received at the beginning of the install "Invalid File Path P:\", and then the installation canceled.

Justin

• 13.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:36 PM
    This directory does not exist on the C: drive.

Justin

• 14.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:39 PM

I complete the registry change mentioned above, I re-ran the install like normal and it completed successfully. Issue resolved. Please to not read any further in the post.

Thanks,

Justin

p.s. THANKS Vikram!!!

• 15.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Agent 11.0.5 rolls back installation at Configuring Services.

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:40 PM
    Please see above post from Vikram.

Thanks,

Justin