Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Posted Nov 02, 2011 06:09 AM

I'm from Russia so I apologize for my english.

Our company has been successfully used SEP11. But after the upgrade SEPM to version 12 and start push install, on OS Windows 2008 x64 antivirus not install correctly. Specifically: during startup symantec from the tray, I get a message that some services Symantec stopped.In the list of services actually stopped service SmcService.

Removing Symantec through the installation / removal does not work: the window with the progress of removal after 5 minutes of closing, but still run Symantec service and registry entries.

A deeper analysis shows that there are registry branch HKLM \ Software \ Wow6432Node \ Symantec, which is not possible to remove or change its settings.
    The owner of the branches is Local System account. Change of ownership is not possible.
    When you run regedit.exe under the Local System account (PsExec-i-s regedit.exe) and attempts to change of ownership results in an error - invaliddescriptor.

How can I completely remove Symantec and its registry entries to start the installation from scratch?

• 2.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2011 01:14 PM

Hi,

Check this article.

You would required registry access to remove SEP completely.

Check following article.

How to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client from Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2008 32 and 64-bit operating systems manually

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161956 

• 3.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Posted Nov 03, 2011 01:05 AM

Use Symantec Removal Tool....

• 4.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Posted Nov 03, 2011 01:19 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks for the answer.

Following the instructions, I got to move "In the Windows registry editor, in the left pane, delete the following keys if they are present. If one is not present, proceed to the next one. - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ services \ BHDrvx86 ".

When I try to delete this key, I get an error (screenshot on a Russian OS) - "You can not delete BHDrvx64. Error deleting section"

One more important point. The instructions said to disable the protection of the changes. But! She is disabled from the console client, which currently does not run, so this step is not done.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Posted Nov 03, 2011 01:25 AM

I tried to use the Clean wipe, it gave no result

• 6.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Posted Nov 07, 2011 03:54 AM

Nobody really faced the described problem and technical support doesn't have decision?

• 7.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 07, 2011 09:20 AM

Hi,

Could you please describe more, now where exactly you have been stuck ?

Are you still able to see SEP entry in add/remove programs or at registry ?

You have also tried to run cleanwipe, while running it gave any error ?

When you are trying to deploy fresh SEP, what happening is it rolling back ? 

If it's rolling back please submit SEP_Inst.log, you will find it under %temp% directly.

• 8.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Posted Nov 08, 2011 02:12 AM
      |   view attached

SEP not removed from Add / Remove Programs.

I ran CleanWipe, no errors.

Attempts to remove according to your instructionshttp://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161956 did not work (the reasons described above).

Maybe I used the old CleanWipe, as he offered to clean my computer from SEP11.

Attachment(s)

7z
    SEP_INST.7z   173 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 08, 2011 08:10 AM

Hi,

To receive latest cleanwipe, log a webcase with Symantec. It's not recommended to run cleanwipe on server operating systems if you are running critical applications on server 2008.

Support will provide you login credentials to download SEP 12.1 Cleanwipe utility.

QuickStart Guide - Create and Manage Support Cases in SymWISE

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31132

How to update a support case and upload diagnostic files with MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71023

Cleanwipe or manual removal either option must help if you have full credentials.

Before installation remove all Symantec folders (If SEP is the only product installed on affected server operating system) 

Please follow this article also 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102286

I hope it will help you !!

• 10.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Edition 12.1 isn't remove and can't install on Windows x64

Posted Nov 14, 2011 09:17 PM

CleanWipe helped me, thanks