Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec 11.0.6 to 12.1 migration question

Posted Aug 19, 2011 08:43 PM

Hello,

We are currently running Symantec Endpoint Protect 11.0.6005.562 with an embedded database on a virtualized Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 edition SP2. We would like to transition to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1, with an embedded database on a newly virtualized Windows 2008 R2 platform. This will be a clean installation on a new virtual machine and not an upgrade/migration of the existing 11.0.6/Server 2003 platform. What is the best way to migrate to the new platform (i.e., workflow/order of operations)? 

• 2.  RE: Symantec 11.0.6 to 12.1 migration question

Posted Aug 19, 2011 09:16 PM

Hello ,

You can first Install the SEPM 12.1 on new win 2008 R2 server and point all SEP client to ne server .

Please check out the below links,

Upgrading and migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1: Best Practices for Disaster Recovery with the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

Preparing for and Recovering from Disaster with Symantec Endpoint Protection v.11.x

• 3.  RE: Symantec 11.0.6 to 12.1 migration question

Posted Aug 19, 2011 11:40 PM

Hello aviviano,

Were you hoping to retain all existing policies and groups? I know it may sound easier to do so, but I think it would be simpler "start over", so to speak, when making this move. Starting over has the added benefit that you leave behind all the cruft from your old installation of SEP 11.x and start afresh. (I would avoid upgrading my SEPM between major versions for the same reason I avoid upgrding my OS between major versions. Sure it works. Sure it's supported. But things never seem to work quite as well as a fresh install.)

It would be my preference to install the 12.1 Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) on the new server and slowly deploy to clients at my convenience.

General order of operations (Preferred):

1. Install the 12.1 Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) on the new 2008 R2 server
    2. Create an installation package which will overwrite the old SEP client's old communication settings (Solution 1 in the following document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92556)
    3. Deploy the installation package at your convenience.

Your only other option would be to do the following.

Alternative solution (Not preferred):

1. Upgrade the existing 11.x SEPM to 12.1 (Backup everything first using these disaster recovery steps: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102333)
    2. Install the 12.1 SEPM on the new 2008 R2 server as a replication partner
    3. Replicate
    4. Create a new management server list on the old SEPM. The new management server list should have two priority levels. The first priority level will have the IP and hostname of the new 12.1 SEPM. The second priority level will have the IP and hostname of the old 12.1 SEPM.
    5. Assign the new management server list to all groups in the SEPM.
    6. Wait enough time for all clients to pick up this change. (Clients which do not pick up this change will never connect to the new SEPM.)
    7. Stop the services on the old SEPM.
    8. If all goes successfully, clients will connect to the new SEPM.
    9. If all works well, decomission the old SEPM.

Hope this helps.

James

• 4.  RE: Symantec 11.0.6 to 12.1 migration question

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 20, 2011 04:55 AM

Hello,

Check this article which has list of all those articles which may assist you with all your Migration Doubts.

Quick Access to Symantec Knowledgebase Articles of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/quick-access-symantec-knowledgebase-articles-symantec-endpoint-protection-121

Hope this helps!!!