Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SQL 2008 Server Installation

• 1.  SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 07:06 AM

Hello Friends,
    I need a best practice or installation guide for SQL 2008 Server for SEP Manager.
    But i'm not looking for the steps after SQL 2008 or not client-connectivity tools.
    Just step by step SQL 2008 Server Installation,i need it because i know some tricks for SEP Manager like "uppercase" limitation etc.
    Anyone knows where can i find?

Thank You. 

• 2.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 03, 2010 07:12 AM
    check on microsoft site, you find one.

• 3.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 07:14 AM
    Please find the document let me know if you need anyting else

Installing and configuring Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager with a SQL Server database
    http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/330748.htm

• 4.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 07:20 AM

These two should help you out let me know if you have any questions

Best Practices guide for Installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 11 RU5 with a SQL Server 2008 Database

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009093006181448?Open&seg=ent

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/install-and-configure-sql-server-2008-express

• 5.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

• 6.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 07:37 AM
     Thank you for your help Rafeeq and Pete but these are not exactly what i want,i need to find collation settings for SEPM.

• 7.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 07:53 AM

already installed sepm or yet to?
    how to install sepm on 2008?
    or
    what not to do list kind of thing?

• 8.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 08:03 AM
     I'll install SEPM yesterday like a Two SEP Manager Servers and One SQL 2008 Server scenerio.
    I did a installation to another customer before but it was to complicated because many strived many other problems so i didn't remember the steps that i take before when i installed sep manager.
    But i remember that so many problems occured when i was choose the right  collation settings.

So because i don't want get any problems with colllation settings i need to know that what can i choose correctly.

Thanks

• 9.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 08:16 AM
    I think the best practices doc what i mentioned in the above post should be good, what was the issues u ran into?
    failed to connect to the server?
    reporting issue?
    this doc is more than enough

Best Practices guide for Installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 11 RU5 with a SQL Server 2008 Database

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009093006181448?Open&seg=ent

• 10.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 10:15 AM
    There should be nothing special, IMO.
    Install SQL to a server, install SEPM and point it to the server.
    You do need to install SQL client to the SEPM, at least with SQL2005.
    Otherwise, it's a matter of defaults, pretty much.
    We've certainly done nothing special at all - frankly, because the SQL server was built to serve other much larger applications and databases.
    If Symantec went around stating "You must install and configure your SQl server a certain way for SEPM to work" there'd be a huge uproar! No one can afford to customize their SQL server to fit a specific app. That apps need to comply with SQL standards, period.

In other words, SEPM should deal with any standard SQL install and need nothing special.
    I don't imagine that a multi-million dollar business running gigs of databases on a corporate SQL server is going to shut down other apps to make a security application work........
    So, I guess I"m confused as to why you might be thinking the SQL server has to be customized to work with SEPM (SEP Manager)

Can you be more specific please?

• 11.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 01:56 PM
     Hello,
    For ex. if i choose windows computer language settings for ex. turkish SEP Manager doesn't work because of just language settings and for ex. again if choose the collation settings like SQL_Croatian_Cp1250_CI_AS_KI_WI Sep Manager doesn't connect to database again,so maybe this problem just occured for non-english countries with non-english computers,but i got these errors so many times.

Thanks

• 12.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 02:40 PM
    You should download SEP turkish not sure if thats available :) 

• 13.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation

Posted Feb 03, 2010 02:54 PM
     :) Nope not this time and i don't it'll be come some day:)

• 14.  RE: SQL 2008 Server Installation
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 11, 2010 01:27 PM
    I did it successfully,
    Thanks all,
    The important thing is uncheck Accent Sensitivity.