Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?

Posted May 24, 2012 02:35 AM

Just need some clarification on the Silent install setting when deploying a package. I have done a search and couldn't find the answer.

We have recently upgraded our SEPM to version 12.1.1000.157 RU1. Now we are just going through the process of upgrading our clients using the auto-deploy feature.

I have created a customized set of client install settings, where I have set the installation type to silent and selected no restart. And in Clients>[group]>Install Packages Tab  I have made sure that the Install Settings are the custom set that I have created.

Everything seems to work perfectly, computers in the Test group are picking up the new package and the new client version seems to install ok. But we have one issue, even though I have selected the silent option the users are still getting the following prompt.

"symantec management client is downloading a newer version of the software from the symentec endpoint protection manager

Upgrading SEP"

The only option is to click OK and the installation/upgrade seems to continue successfully and silently in the background.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there a way to make the auto-deploy/remote push completely silent?

Thanks in Advance

Moe

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 24, 2012 02:47 AM

it should be silent, end user should not pop, when you created package did you select the client install properties from drop down?

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?

Posted May 24, 2012 02:48 AM

Thanks the the reply Ashish. But I did not see anything helpful in that thread.

There was one mention of the prompt I am referring to but nothing else.

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?

Posted May 24, 2012 03:09 AM

I am not using a customized package, just using the default/raw package accompanied with the custom client install settings.

See screenshot1.

But don't worry folks, in the process of me taking those screenshots i have found the culprit. In the notification tab I had forgotten to uncheck notify, see screenshot2.

Sorry for wasting anyones time, and thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!

Moe

• 7.  RE: SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 24, 2012 03:12 AM

Hello,

Are these clients Running Windows 7 machines?

I agree with Pete's comment. When creating a Silent Migration of the SEP client via Auto-upgrade, the Client machines should not be receiving a pop-up.

I would request you check the settings again and check the custom setting shown below -

and Notifications

Check these Articles:

Steps to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163112

Upgrading clients by using AutoUpgrade

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO17911

Creating custom client installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console version 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165801

Upgrade clients to SEP 12.1 by Auto upgrade feature

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-clients-sep-121-auto-upgrade-feature

Hope that helps!!

EDIT : OHHHH... A minute back you found out about the notifications.. great!!!

• 8.  RE: SEPM 12.1 Silent Install not completely silent?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 24, 2012 05:08 AM

Hello,

Upon checking this, I have created an IDEA which I feel should be promoted.

Notification TAB in the Autoupgrade Feature should be disabled, when a Silent Package is used.

Hope that helps!!