Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

• 1.  SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 07:04 AM

Currently, the documention for the migration paths suggests SEP12.1RU2MP1 can only seamlessly be installed over SEP12.1RU2 as per:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204449
    Note: The article does not differentiate between the SEPM upgrade and the Client side upgrade paths.

Despite this, we can clearly see some of the fixes in SEP12.1RU2MP1 directly relate to performing client upgrades from SEP clients older than RU2:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204685

So to that end, I've created an IDEA for Symantec to document and support more upgrade paths of SEP Clients to the latest version.  Please let me know your thoughts, and add your voice to the IDEA if you believe it to be of benefit:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/support-more-sep-121-client-migration-paths

• 2.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 07:22 AM

Removed old.

Good idea.

• 3.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 07:41 AM

In a lot of cases I believe it relates more to the SEPM needing to be upgraded following the migration path due to DB schema changes.

I think clients can be upgraded from any version but yes, good idea to get better documentation on this.

• 4.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 07:45 AM

Hi

We would be awaiting for the positive response on the same

Regards

• 5.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 07:50 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support.  Can I ask you to "Thumbs Up" the IDEA rather than this thread please.  Haven't the foggiest how many votes are required before Symantec take note, but the more the merrier smiley

• 6.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 08:36 AM

Gets my vote. Good luck, hopefully gets the notice it needs.

• 7.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 26, 2013 11:11 AM

Hello,

Your point is noted and I have transferred it to the correct authorities. 

However, Just confirmed that the Migration path is for both SEPM as well as SEP clients.

The Article is in reference to the Entire Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 MP1 which includes SEPM as well as SEP clients.

Secondly, It's not a tested situation to go (for instance) directly from SEP 12.1 RU1 Mp1 to SEP 12.1 RU2 MP1.

It is important to understand that SEP 12.1 RU2 MP1 is a maintainance patch and could be applied only over SEP 12.1 RU2.

I hope you are planning the migration from SEP 12.1 RU2 as migration path is as below:

Older version than SEP 12.1 RU2 >> SEP 12.1 RU2 >> SEP 12.1 RU2 MP1

Check this Article:

Upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2100 (RU2 MP1)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204449

It states:

"Migration paths

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2100.2093 (RU2 MP1) can migrate seamlessly over the following:

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2015.2015 (RU2)"

Secondly, check this Article:

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163700

Hope that helps!!

• 8.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 11:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback, but I am fully aware of the current documentation.  Please review the IDEA I linked, as the silo'd nature of the SEP12.1.* upgrade should allow us to jump versions (and indeed does right now, but is not supported).

I want it added to Symantec testing, and I want it supported.  I've given you a "Thumbs Up" for escalating it internally yes

• 9.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 26, 2013 11:27 AM

Hello,

Check this Article:

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163700

It states, "

Q: What's the recommended migration order? What do I migrate first in my environment?

A: The recommended order is to upgrade all Symantec Endpoint Protection Managers, Group Update Providers, and then the remaining clients as needed.

"

Secondly, The Article is in reference to the Entire Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 MP1 which includes SEPM as well as SEP clients.

• 10.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 26, 2013 11:49 AM

Yup, I'm aware the article applies to the SEPM as well as clients.  In fact, I make a special note that there is no differentiation between the two in my very first post!

It's this that is the problem.  The testing is based on the assumption that people are running the very latest all the time.  As we're all aware, this is rarely ever the case.

While it's acceptable to go through a stepped upgrade for the SEPMs, it is not exactly helpful to request this for thousands of managed client machines.  The fact is that it does work, it'd just be appreciated if Symantec supported it.

Also, have you seen the fix list I posted?  Presumably, the SEP engineers were not expecting us to still upgrade to RU2 then to RU2MP1 when they put in the below fix.  I interpret this fix as "Upgrade your clients directly to SEP12.1RU2MP1 instead, as it is designed to look for the driver from prior versions, and is now fixed".

Like I say, it all appears to be there and working, it'd be nice if it was tested and supported too.

Migration from Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 or higher to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 and removing Network Threat Protection causes network instability
    Fix ID: 3063813
    Symptom: When upgrading from a later version of Symantec Endpoint Protection with the firewall component installed to a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 install package without the firewall, the network may not load upon reboot.
    Solution: Updated the migration mechanism for removing Teefer3 components from prior Symantec Endpoint Protection versions during the firewall uninstall.

• 11.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 27, 2013 02:45 PM

Hello,

Technically an MP can upgrade any version of the product.  However the reason we don’t support this is because of testing.  The MPs are smaller releases, we always smoke test them and we've never had an issue.  We don't block the migration path because we do have customers that opt to take the risk and do the migrations.  However, since we haven't certified them, we can't support them.

Hope that helps!!

• 12.  RE: SEP12.1RU2MP1 Client Migration Paths

Posted Apr 29, 2013 03:38 AM

Hi Mithun,

That is consistent with my testing and is as I had surmised.  The purpose of this thread and the IDEA is to ask Symantec to support it.

Presumably, you must have tested upgrades direct to SEP12.1RU2MP1 from various older SEP versions, for the purposes of the below fix entry:

Migration from Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5 or higher to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 and removing Network Threat Protection causes network instability
    Fix ID: 3063813
    Symptom: When upgrading from a later version of Symantec Endpoint Protection with the firewall component installed to a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 install package without the firewall, the network may not load upon reboot.
    Solution: Updated the migration mechanism for removing Teefer3 components from prior Symantec Endpoint Protection versions during the firewall uninstall.

As these upgrades from older versions of SEP to 12.1RU2MP1 have been tested, then please support them.