Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 still using MHT email attachments?

Posted Jul 25, 2011 09:38 AM

I read in the SEP 12.1 new features list that email messages are now mobile friendly. I assumed that meant no more of the dreaded MHT email attachments. Yet when I ran my first scheduled report, there it was.

I still can't open the MHT attachments in Office Web Apps or on my iPhone.

Did I miss something? What's more "mobile friendly" in SEP 12.1?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 still using MHT email attachments?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2011 11:10 AM

Hello J.Bonner,

I haven't tested SEP 12.1 with a mobile device, but I have seen a similar issue with MHT for Mozilla Thunderbird which was solved by the customer with a change in the configuration of the e-mail client http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/mht_files#reply_3855515

The issue appeared to be in the e-mail client not being able to open the .mht attachment which is a Microsoft format, not on the attachment itself...

External link: Problem in saving .MHT file with Outlook Web App.

HTH

Rgs,

dcats

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 still using MHT email attachments?

Posted Jul 25, 2011 12:20 PM

@dcats,

Thanks, but the external Microsoft link has the wrong answer. We investigated this and are unable to prevent Exchange 2010 OWA from blocking MHT files.

Furthermore, the iPhone does not support MHT files either.

See Paul's comment on this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/mht-files-not-opening-blackberry-or-iphone#comment-2369641

Btw, here's the main post about the MHT issue in the Ideas forum: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/sepm-scheduled-reports-file-format

(You can also search the Ideas forum for the other half dozen posts complaining about the MHT files.)

I was hoping you guys would finally drop the MHT files altogether in SEP 12.x. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's the case, as the Ideas post says it was only partially implemented. Not sure what that means, but notifications come through as HTML messages. It's just the reports that are still using MHT files, which is disappointing. The whole reason for me to schedule a report to view in email is because I'm not at my normal desktop where I have normal access to the SEPM console. That means OWA and smartphones.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 still using MHT email attachments?

Posted Jul 25, 2011 12:31 PM

I didn't notice originally there were two pages of comments on that Ideas post I linked above. Paul Murgatroyd made this comment to it on July 20, 2011:

Sorry for the delay in our response here, we have been busy SEP12 to market.

SEP12 introduces notifications as HTML with all the information in the body of an email.

Scheduled Reports are still MHT's, but the feedback we have had from our wider customer base is that generally they wont be reading reports on their mobile devices.  Granted there are still some issues with MHT's on non-Windows platforms, and removing MHT completely is something we are looking at in the coming year, but hopefully notifications will solve the problem for most people.

thanks!

So that's that I guess. Hopefully MHT files are eliminated altogether in a future version, because they do cause issues in our environment.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 still using MHT email attachments?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2011 12:32 PM

We hear you Jon, unfortunately we had to make the cut somewhere.  We made the assumption that most customers are reviewing reports on their PC's, rather than remotely.  Whereas notifications are more likely to be used if there is an issue and you need the info on a mobile device.

Of course, the lines are becoming more and more blurred these days, particularly with the greater usage of larger mobile devices, such as tablets.

This is something we are looking at changing in a future release to complete the feature.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 still using MHT email attachments?

Posted Jul 25, 2011 12:35 PM

Thanks Paul.