Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1 Scan bar

ℬrίαη

ℬrίαηAug 11, 2011 02:06 PM

Rafeeq

RafeeqAug 11, 2011 02:36 PM

• 1.  SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 12:57 PM

In 11.x when a scan was running it would be shown in the GUI.

This does not appear to be the case in 12.1.

Other than looking at the logs and task manager, is there a way to tell if the scan is running?

Also, ccSvcHst now does the scanning? No more rtvscan?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:05 PM

You need to enable the "Show scan progress " option in the AV and ASpyware policy...(Advanced Admin defined scans)

RTvscan.exe is the main scan enginee

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:11 PM

The user will then get the pop up window on their desktop, this is something I don't want.

In 11.x when you opened the GUI, you would see the progress bar in the top right. This is not there in 12.1

Also, I have no rtvscan on any of my 12.1 clients. Only ccSvcHst and this appears to be doing the scanning...

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:40 PM
      |   view attached

You are  right about the  rtv scan part...however, i do see a message that full scan is in progress..

See the attachment

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:41 PM

Yes, that would give the pop up on user end, 
    I tested on my machine, its RTVSCan.exe which is doing the scan.

the feature what we had in SEP 11 was it would say scanning , right? thats not available in this one :( 

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:52 PM

I'll check a few others but I didn't see it in the GUI but it was in scan logs

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:53 PM

Yep, rtvscan did the scanning in 11.x

Seems to be gone in 12.1....

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:53 PM

Good work Vishal, wondering why i'm not getting it 

I'm using the Beta version , Trial ware may be thats why ,? Or

I have not updated the Virus defs; I think the AV and AS out of date definitions msg are masking it,,

let me update the definitions and check

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:57 PM

@Rafa: Possible because of trial version......but even on my machine i am only getting  it for manually initiated  scan....not for scheduled scans !!!

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 02:03 PM

Even vishal would have run a manual scan. RTVSCan.exe is the main process; Full verion would display the message 

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 02:06 PM

I do see it for a manual scan.

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 02:17 PM

so to sum up, its only shows up for manual scan..Great , we learned something today, Now can you mark my post as solved; ::) ha ha ha , just kidding :)

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 02:26 PM

:)

I'd like to find out why these changed (unless we're missing something)

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 02:36 PM

Paul can explain ..Send him a PM..

• 15.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 11, 2011 03:22 PM

So we had a lot of feedback from customers who said that just showing a scan was running was useless. (their words not mine) so with SEP12 we tried to rethink our approach, working on the following assumptions:

1. Some admins would never want users to know scans were running

2. Some admins would want to let their users know, but not allow them to see or do anything

3. Some admins would want to let their users know and allow them to see the scan, but not do anything

4. Some admins would want to let their users know and allow them to see the scan and allow them to pause, cancel, or snooze it

With SEP12, we achieved 1, some of 2, 3 and 4.

There is a little more work that we are going through at the moment to get the feature perfect.  The best thing I can offer you today Brian is to set the Scan Progress Options to "Show scan progress if risk detected" and configure your pause, snooze options, etc. (or just disable them).

That will enable the hyperlink and depending on the options you have given the user, they can either see the status or pause, cancel the scan, etc.

hth, I'm hoping RU1 will add a few more features here and finally close off the requests.

• 16.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 03:23 PM

oh and please, let RTVScan die in peace.

Its gone, its not in SEP12 anywhere and its not coming back.

ccsvchost takes care of everything now.

• 17.  RE: SEP 12.1 Scan bar

Posted Aug 11, 2011 03:38 PM

Paul,

Thanks for the info on both the progress bar and rtvscan.

I'm fine with both but in my case it simply comes down to me being able to tell our techs what has changed. Some actually check that the scans are running (I have no idea why but whatever) via the GUI. If it's not longer there, they will start to question it but I can point them to view the log for confirmation.

Same with ccSvcHst. They will ask what happened to rtvscan so now I can tell them.

Thanks again for clearing everything up.

-Brian