Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

• 1.  SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 22, 2012 01:11 AM

I am creating a new thread on this topic as all my research has not uncovered a solution.

We only have one server for our entire company, its running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Firstly, I have deployed SEP Manager to this server. 

I then successfully deployed SEP Client using GPO to all our client computers which all run windows 7 pro 32bit.  No problems with this.

I have now tried deploying SEP Client to the server itself as although it is running SEP Manager I believe it still needs the client installed.

After deployment I get the Firewall is Malfunctioning error and hovering the mouse over the client icon yields the message Firewall Driver is not Loaded.

I have tried stoping and starting SMC then turning debugging off and stopping and starting SMC.

Still the problem exists.  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 22, 2012 12:03 PM

The solution in this thread was to disable the Windows firewall and run a repair installation of SEP.

Have a look at this thread as well:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-121-firewall-malfunctioning-firewall-driver-not-loaded

HTH!

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 22, 2012 02:52 PM

Hi greg12,

Thanks for the repsonse, I have read both those threads thoroughly, tried each solution and neither has helped.

I really thought disabling the firewall and a repair was the solution but it simply didnt work.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 23, 2012 01:43 AM

Hi,

Check this one..similar

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/firewall-malfunctioning-error

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 23, 2012 02:46 PM

Thanks, but I have also seen that thread and the solution did not help me.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 23, 2012 10:32 PM

Remove the  Network Threat Protection (NTP) component, then reboot the machine and install it again.

Is the version on the machine 12.1 or 12.1 RU1, If it's 12.1, would ask you to upgrade to RU1

Look for teefer driver in Device manager View show hidden devices > Network Adapters if it's not there then it would be best to re-install.

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 23, 2012 11:21 PM

Norton Installer?? Or Symantec Endpoint??

Do not remove SEPM, but remove just the SEP client. You can try the process of manual removal.

It seems that the teefer driver was not installed properly, which is why the Firewall is malfunctioning.

Some stpes that you could try (At your own risk! ) yes

1)Uninstall NIC drivers. 
    2)Uninstall SEP.
    3)Install NIC drivers. 
    4)Reinstall SEP.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 24, 2012 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I tried removing the NTP component however the symantec installer failed and rolled back, it would not remove it.

Version is 12.1 RU1

There is no teefer driver listed.

This is the second time I have tried deploying to the server through GPO so im not sure a reinstall will work.  

Or are you suggesting I uninstall SEP Manager as well (this will mean removing SEP from all the clients) and do a cleanwipe?

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 24, 2012 08:54 PM

Sorry - I meant symantec, not norton.  Our system has nothing to do with any norton products.

Thanks, could you point me to the correct webpage instructions for manual removal of SEP 12.1 from windows server 2008R2.

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 25, 2012 06:46 PM

Unfortunately removing the SEP client and reinstalling did not work.  Neither did uninstalling the NIC drivers.

I found this thread which has my exact symptoms, however I have internet explorer 8 installed so my problem is different.

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 27, 2012 06:44 AM

Manual uninstall documents for Symantec Endpoint Protection
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96924

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 27, 2012 03:45 PM

Thanks.  I have uninstalled both SEP and SEPM manually.  I have also run cleanwipe.

I tried simply to install an unmanaged client on the server and the install did not complete.  I noticed the installteefer.exe is running in the background but never completes, I left it running all night.  Finally in the morning I rebooted the server and once again the "Firewall driver is not loaded" error comes up.

Anymore ideas?

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 27, 2012 06:18 PM

Use cleanwipe tool to remove SEP client then after restart Install SEP again.

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Feb 27, 2012 06:22 PM

Thanks, if you read my last post thats what I have just done.

• 15.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Mar 02, 2012 07:43 PM

I am still struggling with this, is anyone able to offer me further assitance?

It would be greatly appreciated.

• 16.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2012 08:43 PM

i would suggest you to open a support case as well to troubleshoot the issue, as they will check the few other logs and analyze the problem.

• 17.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Mar 07, 2012 12:03 PM

I had the similar problem 2 weeks ago, but with following conditions:

1. The malfunction product was SEP SBE 12.1, not SEP 12.1 (sometimes called SEP EE)

2. Just before installing SEP SBE, I removed SEP EE 12.1 RU1 client which was there for testing purposes.

Standard uninstall/install didn't help. To check if your case is the same as mine look for the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Teefer3 

If you found it, then solution is:

1. Uninstall SEP (I think your can leave SEPM at place)

2. Remove mentioned key from registry, Reboot

3. Remove file teefer.sys from %systemroot%\system32\drivers directory.

4. Install SEP.

I believe that last version of SEP EE install new version of firewall driver (teefer3). But all utils (e.g. cleanwipe) and manual uninstal procedures doesn't count on this yet.

• 18.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Mar 07, 2012 05:32 PM

Agree with Pete.. have a support case opened to get further assistance.

• 19.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Apr 05, 2012 11:07 PM

Thanks, I will open a support case.  

@dias, the key you mentioned did not exist in our registry.

• 20.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Apr 06, 2012 01:32 AM

Hi Reafidy,

I am having the same problem as you are having with the "Firewall driver is not loaded".  It happen only with unmanaged clients.  As you, I have tried all the suggestions above with no avail.

I too are looking to open a support case.  If you have identify the root cause with a solution, please share your finding.  I will do the same.

Thank you in advance.

• 21.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Apr 12, 2012 12:18 PM

I have also stumbled into this error on a clean install of unmanaged SEP 12.1 RU1 EE on a freshly built Window's 7 x64.

I have no idea why.  This is the second of these particular machine builds and the first one went perfectly.  Any definitive solution would certaily be appreciated.

• 22.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Apr 13, 2012 02:18 PM

Enable the hidden administrator account and then install using that enabled hidden admin account.

• 23.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted Apr 15, 2012 12:16 AM

Thanks @theexplorer.  Unfortunately I was using the builtin administrator account for the install.  

Could the problem be that I am installing on a domain controller?

I am still waiting for our DVD to turn up so I can start an official support case with symantec.

• 24.  RE: SEP 12.1 Firewall is Malfunctioning (Firewall driver is not loaded)

Posted May 02, 2012 04:58 AM

Hi,

I had a similar Problem on a couple of Computers.

On some it was fixed with the latest Version 12.1 RU1 MP1 (12.1.1101.401).

But I still had a computer where I could not install it. I opened up a support case and the helped me with the following solution:

To resolve this problem, adjust the value of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\ registry subkey.

1. Click Start , click Run , type regedit , and then click OK .

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\

3. In the right pane, right-click MaxNumFilters, and then click Modify.

4. Change the value to “14”, and click to select the Decimal option, and then click OK.

Note: Default value is 8, 14 is the maximum

5. Close the Registry Editor.

Then I uninstalled SEP => restart => install SEP => restart and now everything works fine