Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  role of port 137 in SEP server

Posted Nov 22, 2011 06:23 AM

hi friends - I am working on SEPM(11.0.6005) in my current site. there i have facing there problem with port 137. There a lot of trafic come threw this port that has shared by our senior team, So need to confirm that what the role of this port in SEPM.

• 2.  RE: role of port 137 in SEP server
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 22, 2011 06:37 AM

Hello,

During Push Deployment, Migration and client deployment - UDP 137 and 138 on management servers and clients are used.

Check this Articles:

About firewalls and communication ports

About opening communications ports for migration

Ports Used by Symantec Protection Center 2.0 (SPC 2.0)

• 3.  RE: role of port 137 in SEP server

Posted Nov 22, 2011 08:04 AM

Firewall administrators will frequently see large numbers of incoming packets to port 137. This is due to the behavior of Windows servers that use NetBIOS (as well as DNS) to resolve IP addresses to names using the "gethostbyaddr()" function. As users behind the firewalls surf Windows-based web sites, those servers will frequently respond with NetBIOS lookups.

• 4.  RE: role of port 137 in SEP server

Posted Nov 22, 2011 11:05 AM

I was just going to post what Mithun said and what Ajit is saying is also correct. You can also run Netstat -ano and see what the PID is for port 137 and see if that gives you any more insight into what is happening. If it is possibly attributed to push deployment, you can see about scheduling out your push deployment over a longer period of time so the SEPM is not hitting that port as much.

• 5.  RE: role of port 137 in SEP server

Posted Nov 22, 2011 11:29 AM

There is NO ROLE of SEPM on port 137.Nothing related SEPM.

It is used to discover windows clients, Have you made SEP client on SEPM as Unmanaged detector ?