Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

• 1.  Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 05, 2012 05:31 AM

Dear all,

I search around this forum and try several method mentioned in forum. All of them do not work at all.

My problem is that I want to reset the password of embedded database (SEPM 12.1 in Windows 2008 server).  How?

My case is that I reset once the admin password of SEPM via "resetpass" because I forget the initial password at all. Then I can login the Console to view all funcions and ....etc.  Later on, I want to reconfig the management server via "Management Server Configuration Wizard". It will ask me the "DBA"'s password but I forget it at all.

I think that the method in "How to find the Database password for Embedded Database" article is old or not applied in 12.1 version.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 05, 2012 07:41 AM

Hello,

What version of SEP 12.1 are you running? Is this a SEP SBE 12.1 product?

For what reason were you trying to Management Server Configuration Wizard.

I would suggest you to Run the upgrade.bat from -

%Program Files (x86)%\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin.

which may resolve your issue.

However, incase, you need to somehow recover the password, you may have to contact Symantec Technical Support.

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 06, 2012 09:01 PM

Hmmm, that Embedded password. I don't know of an internal SEPM method for recovering the password for the Embedded database. The "embedded Database" is an integrated "Sybase" database. You may be able to check their forums if they have something.

Otherwise, you may be able to:

1. Backup the database.
    2. Reinstall SEPM (Using the Restore.zip file to restore communication)
    3. Restore the database.

Again, do note the step about restorining the communication settings.

• 4.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 09, 2012 12:39 AM

Dear all,

My main task is to change the server name with the same IP.

My case is : I change the server name (host name) of machine with the same IP. I find that the server name in "Management Server" still uses the old name. There is no way to change it in Console. Later on, I find some forum/article to achive that by reconfiging the management server via "Management Server Configuration Wizard". As mentioned, I reset once the Console password once (I forget the initial password at all). So, get the second issue of reset the DBA password (Embedded database) .

Database Address:localhost
    Type:Embedded (SQL Anywhere)
    Version:11.0.1.2472
    Database:sem5
    Database User:DBA
    Creation Time:Friday, 11 May 2012 17:48:54 CST

Because I don't want to uninstall and install again for the change of server name, I hope there should be other simple solution. By the way, I feel that 12.1 is more complicated / non-conventient than 10.x

I would appreciate if any help. Thanks a lot.

• 5.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 09, 2012 09:27 PM

I believe it is correct that the only way to change the "Server Name" is to run the configuration wizard.

If you don't have the DB Password, you are kind of stuck. Luckally the "SEPM Server name" doesn't have any functional impact, but I can see not being able to change it very annoying.

I think the only option you have is to do a reinstall and restore your data, but that is kind of a lot of work for the little setting you want to change.

It does not seem right that the software should let you get into a state. The Embedded password is never used interactively by the user, so it seems odd it expects you to remember it.

• 6.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2012 03:56 AM

Hi Dickson,

You should contact support to recover the password.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

How to Create and Validate a SymAccount for using Symantec's MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31127

How to update a support case and upload diagnostic files with MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71023

• 7.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2012 04:14 AM

Hi,

You should try this article as well.

Symantec Endpoint Protection: How to change the database password to a non complex password for use with the Management Server Reconfiguration Wizard

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103774

• 8.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 11, 2012 04:12 PM

I reproduced this in my lab with the latest version of SEPM. I opened a bug against the product, incident 2851886. No promises on when/if it will be fixed though.

• 9.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 11, 2012 07:57 PM

Hi, I ran across this forum post, it may solve the issue for you:

How to find the Database password for Embedded Database
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-find-database-password-embedded-database

• 10.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 12, 2012 05:36 AM

To reset a forgotten password

1. On the management server computer, click Start > All Programs > Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager > Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.

2. In the Logon screen, click Forgot your password?.

3. In the Forgot Password dialog box, type the user name for the account for which to reset the password.

4. Click Temporary Password.

An email that contains a link to activate the temporary password is sent to the administrator.

As a security precaution, the administrator must change the temporary password immediately after logging on.

• 11.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 12, 2012 05:37 AM

Sorry Ignor the last Comment

Check this:

The embedded database password can be changed by using the tool "dbisqlc.exe", provided by Sybase. 

This tool is stored in the following default location:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\

To change the embedded database password, follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start > Run.
      2. Type services.msc
      3. Click Ok.
      4. Verify that the "Symantec Embedded Database Service" is running.
      5. Stop the "Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Service."
      6. Exit the Services window.
      7. Browse to:
        C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\
      8. Double-click on dbisqlc.exe to launch the application.
      9. Click the Login tab.
      10. Type DBA as the username and enter the current complex password.
      11. Under choose an ODBC data source select 'Data source name' and select SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN.
      12. Click on the Database tab.
      13. Enter the path to the database in the field labeled "Database file:" The default path is:
        C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db
      14. Click Ok to log into the embedded database.
      15. In the "Command" input box, type:
        GRANT CONNECT TO DBA IDENTIFIED BY "<New Password><new password=""></new>"
      16. Click Execute. The password should now be changed.
      17. Exit the application.

After changing the password, it is necessary to run the Management Server Configuration Wizard, then restart the IIS and SEPM services.

• 12.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Jul 18, 2012 04:58 AM

Hi Ghint,

Thanks for your reproduce and report to this bug. The following article :

How to find the Database password for Embedded Database
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-find-database-password-embedded-database

I think that the method in "How to find the Database password for Embedded Database" article is old or not applied in 12.1 version. I also mentioned in my first comment.

Hi Ajit Jha,

Thanks for your help. However, I do not need to change the current password if I know the password. I want to RESET the forgot password.

Any help?

• 13.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2012 05:44 AM

Hi Dickson,

Total how many clients are in network? using SEP ?

It's not recommended but would be the last option

Install fresh SEPM, user sylink replacer to replace sylink.xml on existing clients.

Make a note of new DB password for future reference.

You can promote the following idea as well:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/sepm-should-store-dba-password-cache-or-should-have-access-reset-db-password-admin

• 14.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Aug 08, 2012 08:35 PM

This issue has been fixed in 12.1 RU2! You should no longer be prompted for the Sybase password when you run the reconfiguration wizard.

• 15.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Sep 11, 2012 10:00 PM

Open a case with symantec support they have a simple solution to this to recover database password in SEP 12.1

Definitely you can recoever the password within 15 minutes....

• 16.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Sep 11, 2012 10:10 PM

HI Mohan ,

I think user issue already Resolved.

We don't be received any update after 18th July 2012.

• 17.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 05:05 AM

Hi all,

Thanks all of you.

I still have not solved this stupid problem. I really get tired to solve different type of issue about using SEPM 12.1.

First, SEPM fails to push virus to client. (use push mode). One method is to run Endpoint Protection Manager Tool to reconfig it in order to solve the issue of "failure of pushing the latest virus definition".

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/virus-definition-wont-be-pushed-sepm-client-1211101401105

However, it will ask me the database password which I forgot for a long time. Therefore, I have tried to find the way how to reset.

I also want to log a case but it ask me the support ID / tecnical ID during the submitting the case. I have bought the licenses but don't have this type support ID.

• 18.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 12:42 PM

The embedded database password is by default the first admin password you chose when you set up the SEPM in the first place. It does not change if you changed the admin password. If you have that password documented, you should be good to go.

If you don't have this password (and your first post suggests you might not), I do not know of a method to reset it if it is forgotten. Although this page is intended for version 12 and not 11 (which is what the SEPM uses for 12.1.x), Sybase's website suggests it can't be reset:

How do I recover a DBA password?

It also mentions you can contact Sybase support for assistance, but if it can't be recovered I'm not sure how they could help (http://www.sybase.com/support).

sandra

• 19.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 12:48 PM

You may want to contact the non-technical support number for assistance in locating your contact ID for support. Use the drop-down menu for the number in your region: http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

sandra

• 20.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 09:37 PM

Go to SEPM Console--> Admin tab--> License tab--> Fetch the serial number.

Starts with a alphabet followed by 10 digit numbers.

Eg: M0123456789

Dial: 800-721-3934  Option: 2

Call the Licensing team and provide the serial number and request for the support ID or Customer ID they can provide you all the information.

Dial: https://support.broadcom.com  Option: 1

Then Log a case with Technical support team.

If you running SEP 12.1 Manager and If you are able to login to the SEPM console definitely they can recover the password... 

Its simple. But you need to log a case with symantec..

Those are internal resource and cannot be published in public..

Hope you got all the info required........ 

• 21.  RE: Reset the password of embedded database in SEPM 12.1 ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 09:50 PM

In that case there's only one way, Perform Disaster Recovery. 

How to perform Disaster Recovery without Database backup/Restore

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-perform-disaster-recovery-without-database-backuprestore