File Share Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Reparing an OEM Windows 7 Installation (x64) with PGP WDE 10.1.2

• 1.  Reparing an OEM Windows 7 Installation (x64) with PGP WDE 10.1.2

Posted Jun 05, 2011 11:07 AM

How can I repair a Windows 7 installation when PGP WDE 10.2.1 is installed?   Are there not limitations for repairing a Windows installation regarding the MBR when the disk is encrypted?  If you can provide the steps on how to do this is Windows 7, that will be very helpful.  

Reparing Windows may be the only way I will be able to install Windows updates, since many of them are not being installed after trying many fixes recommended by MS.  

• 2.  RE: Reparing an OEM Windows 7 Installation (x64) with PGP WDE 10.1.2

Posted Jul 15, 2011 10:10 AM

But I saw that this forum thread never got a response. If nothing else, this will be good information for somebody else to reference.

It is ALWAYS recommended that you fully decrypt your hard disk before performing any operating system repair, fixmbr or operating system reinstallation/upgrade. The reason being is that our software stores important records that are used to authenticate to the disk and unlock the encryption in some of these locations such as the MBR. If you accidentally overwrite those records, that can be catastrophic for data recovery.

From the PGP Desktop User's Guide (the same applies for an operating system repair):

Important Note: If you are upgrading your computer to a new version of the operating system and want to use this version of PGP Desktop, be sure to uninstall any previous versions of PGP Desktop before upgrading the OS and installing this release. Be sure to back up your keys and keyrings before uninstalling. Note that if you have used PGP Whole Disk Encryption, you will need to unencrypt your disk before you can uninstall PGP Desktop.

In order to uninstall PGP Desktop on an encrypted drive, you HAVE TO uninstall PGP Desktop first. It won't let you uninstall it on an encrypted drive due to those protection mechanisms. This is to prevent you from locking yourself out of your own drive.