File Share Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

• 1.  PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Sep 26, 2012 05:11 PM

Lion and Mountain Lion:

PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 installed to be used only for mail and file encryption - NOT WDE ...

If File Vault is switched on, and required reboot. Take care. You will not be able to boot.

Two files obvious has to be removed:

/System/Library/Extensions/PGPwde.kext

/Library/PriviledgedHelperTools/com.pgp.framework.PGPwde

More Info:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16335120#16335120

Regards.

Asger

• 2.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Sep 27, 2012 03:52 AM

10.2.1 MP4 is now released which has enhanced support for mountain lion:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5541

• 3.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Sep 27, 2012 04:51 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks a lot

Where can I download this one, as Trial version?

Need to test.

I follow this link:

http://www.symantec.com/products/download-security-software

See attachment, only MP3 available.

BR Asger

• 4.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Sep 27, 2012 01:30 PM

Hi, i noticed in your post that you said that you are not using WDE. But it sounds like the problem described in our KB system here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173502

We have known incompatabilities with Filevault.

In the case were you are not using pgpwde at all. we disable those wde drivers (the files that you listed).  However, if your machine happens to be encrypted - it will fail to boot. It needs to drivers to access an encrypted drive. Are you sure that you didn't encrypt the drive?

• 5.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Sep 27, 2012 01:38 PM

In the case that you are not using PGP WDE and you are using filevault 2. PGP should handle disabling thoese WDE drivers from trying to boot. It sounds like that is not the case, if you are certainly not encrypting the disk?

I agree that this issue should be retested with 10.2.1 MP4 since we don't support Mountain Lion with 10.2.1 MP3. there was several bug fixes we had to impliment to make PGP WDE compatible with OSX 10.8.

• 6.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Sep 27, 2012 04:27 PM

Hi PGP_Ben

Your KB article descibe exactly what happened for me!

I did the same procedure on 3 MacBooks, all running Mountain Lion, same fault on all.

Unable to boot, after File Vault 2 turned on.

PgP 10.2.1 MP3 installed in trial mode, limited functionality - as we were only testing, and actually only need the functions available in limited mode: encrypt/decrypt of clipboard and files.

No Whole Disk Encryption in any way. Drive was not encrypted.

The intention was to let File Vault handle this issue.

BR  Asger

• 7.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Oct 02, 2012 04:23 PM

okay, to understand your issue more fully. you are hooking up an external disk that is filevault encrypted and that is preventing the machine from booting. the difference in that KB is that we are documenting this as known behavior with an internal boot drive that is WDE encrypted.

This is the first time I have heard of this behavior happening on machine that doesn't have the drive WDE encrypted. Does the workaround in the KB work for you?

• 8.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Oct 04, 2012 06:53 AM

I understand it like this, you refer to this one:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173502

It says:

"....... Problem Description

The problem occurs as soon as FileVault 2 is used to encrypt a drive on a machine that has Symantec PGP Desktop installed. As soon as the machine is rebooted after initiating encryption, the machine is left in an unbootable state ......"
    And this is what happens for me, on several computers.
    1. PgP is installed. NO DISK ATTACHED, NO WDE ENCRYPTION CONFIGURED
    2. File Vault 2 switced on = CRASH.
    3. Solution:
    Delete these two files, before switching Filevault on (this will leave PgP to function OK in terms of clipboard encryption, key management, file encryption):

BR Asger

• 9.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Oct 04, 2012 10:31 AM

You can always use the "Customize" option on the installer to not install WDE a well. Have you tested this?

• 10.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Nov 09, 2012 12:31 PM

Hi all

I run  a MacBookPro Retina display under Mac OS 10.8.2 using FileVault. Can I install without any problems Symantec Encryption Desktop (10.2.1 Build 4961)? 

I can not un-tick to install Symantec Drive Encryption (the field is grey and can not be changed - so no option to customize the installer). I am only interested in the possibility to de- and  
    encrypt e-mails.

I did manage to install PGP 10.2.1 Build 4961 without SDE (I mounted the installer and then right-clicked on the icon and did choose "show package content"; then double-clicked on PGP Desktop.pkg). However, PGP still does not work properly. I can specifically not choose the recipient out of my existing pgp-public keys list (in the respective window only my private keys are shown but none of my recipient's public keys). So encryption is not possible (only to those recipients of whom I have not only the public key but also the private key). Decription seems to work properly as far as I could test.

With the version 10.2.1 (Build 4869) PGP (installed without WDE!) my PGP did not start (it always crashed with an entry in Konsole).

@Asger: Do you run Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.2.1 (Build 4961) under 10.8.2 with FileVault activated? Does your solution

. Solution:
    Delete these two files, before switching Filevault on (this will leave PgP to function OK in terms of clipboard encryption, key management, file encryption):

also work under 10.8.2?

Thanks for your help

atall

• 11.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Nov 12, 2012 01:13 PM

FYI, this is a known issue which is looking at being address in a future release. The recommended workaround is the solution posted above in that KB article.
    TECH173502

You have listed it as well atall. In regards to only being able to install PGP Desktop instead of PGPWDE. I wasn't aware of this functionality (possibly just never noticed) do you recall a prior version of PGP Desktop where this functionality worked?

• 12.  RE: PGPDesktop10.2.1MP3 + File Vault on Lion/Mountain Lion = Crash

Posted Nov 13, 2012 03:50 AM

@pgp _Ben

1. No idea whether the funcitonality worked earlier (install PGP Desktop instead of PGPWDE - now called SDE).

2. My PGP is still not working properly!  I can specifically not choose the recipient out of my existing pgp-public keys list (in the respective window only my private keys are shown but none of my recipient's public keys). So encryption is not possible (only to those recipients of whom I have not only the public key but also the private key). Decription seems to work properly as far as I could test.

Any idea where the problem could be? Suggestions for bringing PGP to work?

3. Today I tried to run the FULL installer PGPDesktop10.2.1MP4_MacOSX (without the "functionality" mentioned above; so also SDE was installed). The terminal orders mentionened in KB TECH173502 did partially NOT work on my side (partially the places on my computer were not found with the terminal orders). I was quite afraid having an OS non bootable afterwards ... lucky enough the booting worked all the same ...

BUT: still PGP is not working properly (see 2. of my today's posting).

Help would be appreciated. I bought a program for EUR 169 and spent hours to bring it to work without any success so far :-(. PGP ... where are you going? Before PGP was a recommendation for Mac users. And now???

Thx for help

Atall