Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

• 1.  Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 13, 2012 02:01 PM

Hi I am running Endpoint 12.1 and all is fine on my Windows 7 machines running Office 2010, but all of the machines running Office 2003 on XP when trying to open any Office files takes it takes ages.

I have disabled Endpoint on the machine and it opens fine, so has to be do with the endpoint software. I have removed the network threat protection as well as proactive threat protection but this hasnt helped.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 13, 2012 03:24 PM

Do you have download protection installed? Try disabling that.

• 3.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 13, 2012 03:40 PM

Hi sorry im not 100% how to check if I have download protection installed or not can you tell me how to check please.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 13, 2012 04:21 PM

In SEPM, switch the view as seen below to check:

• 5.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 14, 2012 04:01 AM

Hi yes this is set to enabled - advanced protection. Should I disable this and if so whats the best way to do it?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 14, 2012 08:40 AM

Open your SEP client

Go to Change Settings

Click Configure Settings under Virus and Spyware Protection

Select the Download Insight tab

From here you can uncheck "Enable Download Insight...."

See what the result is

• 7.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 14, 2012 12:32 PM

Hi I have tried to disable this but it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the performance on opening word, excel etc.

I did try restarting the pc after taking the tick out but it is automatically put back in.

Is there something else I can try?

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2012 01:57 PM

Hi,

In the AV policy select the option 'Scan when file is modified' & monitor the difference.

Screenshot is attached to the referece, screenshot is taken from SEP 11 however you can find this option in SEP 12.1 as well.

• 9.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 15, 2012 07:05 AM
      |   view attached

Hi can you point me to this setting on 12.1 please, I only seem to have this

• 10.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 15, 2012 07:12 AM

Hi,

You are almost there.

Select Autoprotect --> Click on Advance scanning & monitoring

• 11.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 15, 2012 07:32 AM

Hi,

Also check is there any following fix id relates to your issue. If yes test with SEP 12.1 RU2 version.

Reference: New fixes and enhancements in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Release Update 2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH199676

Applications are slow to launch over the network
    Fix ID: 2756476
    Symptom: Applications are slow to launch over the network after Symantec Endpoint Protection client is installed. Disabling the SymTDI driver resolves the issue.
    Solution: Updated the SymTDI driver to improve performance of large networked files.

ThinApp portable applications are slow to start from network share
    Fix ID: 2645151
    Symptom: Applications that are packaged as VMware ThinApp portable applications are slow to launch when the application is launched via a network share.
    Solution: Modified the Auto-Protect driver to honor exonerated network files when the network scan on execute option is enabled.

Performance of App-V applications is slow
    Fix ID: 2825796
    Symptom: Applications using Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) are slower to launch and slower to execute.
    Solution: Modified a driver to allow the scanner to store cached data in memory for App-V virtualized applications.

File operations too slow with Symantec Endpoint Protection client and SOXBOX agent
    Fix ID: 2662063
    Symptom: Symantec Endpoint Protection client and SOXBOX agent installed together cause file operations to run too slowly.
    Solution: SymEFA no longer enables an NTFS change journal for the SOXBOX agent's hidden NTFS volume.

Excessive non-paged memory used by Symantec Endpoint Protection client
    Fix ID: 2733231
    Symptom: The Symnets.sys driver (pool tag SND1) slowly consumes a large amount of non-paged pool memory, eventually leading to a system crash.
    Solution: Updated the SymTDI driver to resolve a non-paged pool memory leak.

• 12.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 15, 2012 11:39 AM

Hi it appears im running version 12.1.1101.401 RU1 MP1

How would I go about applying the update you mentioned? I have run live update but it hasnt found any updates required?

Thanks

• 13.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 15, 2012 12:41 PM

Hi,

You will have to download latest version from: https://fileconnect.symantec.com/

You would required serial number which starts with alphabet 'M'.

Check this article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/latest-symantec-endpoint-protection-releases-symantec-endpoint-protection-121-ru2

• 14.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 20, 2012 03:49 PM

Hi sorry have just looked and I do have a serial number starting with M but I cant see any RU2 in the file connect only the version I am running.

Do you know the file name at all?

• 15.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2012 05:55 AM

Hi,

In that case you should contact Symantec license team & they can provide you temporary license number to download SEP 12.1 RU2.

Purchasing licenses

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55072

Contact Us

http://www.symantec.com/partners/support/contact-us.jsp

Assistant & Information

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_information.jsp

• 16.  RE: Office 2003 Slow on XP Machines

Posted Nov 21, 2012 11:35 AM

You can always add the common office extensions to the excluded list.