Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Migrating sep v10 clients to sep v12.1 without rebooting

Posted Apr 09, 2012 02:28 PM

I am migrating v10 SEP clients to SEP v12.1, all info I have read states this is not possible without a reboot happening at sometime to complete the install and have the client be fully functional. I have created a package with the no reboot option selected and have removed the registry keys pertaining to the "pending FileNameReboot" option. I also stopped all Symantec services that could be stopped. The spbbc service was not able to be stopped but does not seem to be needed for the newer clients. I perform the install and all seems to go well, the client shows up in the 12.1 console and has the reboot flag (not worried about that message at this time. I check the services on the client and they are all started but set to manual. The program file entry still shows the old client but shows a new program folder for the new sep client but it is not populated yet. I have also tried to remove the old client first but all attempts require a reboot to happen to remove the left over files and registry settings. If it is possible to remove the old client without a reboot and install the new one it is ok for the workstation to be unprotected during this procedure. I do realize that the current method is set to keep the client protected during these upgrade/migrations but I am willing to sacrifice to avoid a reboot.

I am wiling to try anything except replace the workstation with a new one with the new client. :)

I am happy to have replies directly emailed to me also

jack.gdmx@gmail.com

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Migrating sep v10 clients to sep v12.1 without rebooting

Posted Apr 10, 2012 01:27 AM

Sometimes it neccessary to reboot to get the Installation perfect. NTP feature will not be active till you Reboot it.

To remove the The existing entries you have to reboot, this Winodwssmiley

• 3.  RE: Migrating sep v10 clients to sep v12.1 without rebooting

Posted Apr 10, 2012 01:32 AM
      |   view attached

Folow the link : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163707&key=54619

To stop reboot folow the image and delete pending file rename option

• 4.  RE: Migrating sep v10 clients to sep v12.1 without rebooting
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2012 01:57 AM

Hi Jackll,

You have understood upgrade process correctly & it's not possible to avoid reboot.

SEP 12.1 employs a side-by-side, replace on reboot installation strategy. Side-by-side means that new files are written to a new folder, referred to as a silo, isolated from the existing operational folder. Because the two versions are separated from each other, during a migration the older software is left running unchanged until the next reboot.

The primary benefit of side-by-side installation and replace on reboot is that the system continues to be protected by the existing software until the new version is in operation after the reboot.

This technique enables you to change the normal portion of the installation path during a migration, when applicable.