Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Microsoft Outlook Auto-Protect slower in 12.1

Posted Jul 29, 2011 09:49 AM

Going from 11.0.6300 to 12.1, one thing is certain.   Auto-protect for Microsoft Outlook is much slower.   We are running Office 2010, fully patched, tied to Exchange 2010, using SSL.

Opening a TIF or PDF can take up to 10 seconds.   Subsequent opens of the same file are instant.  We have users that all they do all day long is open bills in TIF or PDF format.  So adding 5-10 seconds per attachment is not acceptable.

For the time being I have removed TIF and PDF from the file types we are scanning using Outlook Auto-Protect.   Hopefully a better resolution will be in 12.2.

• 2.  RE: Microsoft Outlook Auto-Protect slower in 12.1

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 29, 2011 10:10 AM

Hello,

This is working as designed. Pdf files are a type of compressed file. They contain an internal javascript.js file.
    Support for these types of compressed files was added in Symantec Endpoint Protection. The scanning of files contained within a compressed file causes the scanned files count to increment.

This is similar to Scan results when scanning a zip file.

I would request you to still put this as an IDEA under

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/security/ideas

• 3.  RE: Microsoft Outlook Auto-Protect slower in 12.1

Posted Jul 29, 2011 03:44 PM

If the delay is too much, perhaps you could just disable the Outlook scanner for those users. I'm sure you're already running Exchange level antivirus (or equivalent if not using Exchange), and you have SEP running on their desktops. So the risk would be minimal.

• 4.  RE: Microsoft Outlook Auto-Protect slower in 12.1

Posted Jul 29, 2011 05:24 PM

Lets be clear here.

I'm assuming you are saying that Outlook 2010 performance is slower with SEP12 than it was with SEP11?

Thats kind of expected, since there was no Outlook 2010 plugin for SEP11!