Expand all | Collapse all

LUA 2.3.2 is now available

• 1.  LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2012 06:20 AM

Hello Everyone,

LUA 2.3.2 is now available.

Some of the features included in this release

• Packaged with Apache Tomcat version 7.0.26 and PostgreSQL version 9.1.3.
    • Packaged with JRE 1.7 (private JRE, automatically bundled, installed and configured by the LUA installer).
    • Enhanced security with advanced features to protect the User Interface from certain attacks.
    • Added the ability to modify the LUA download directory path at any time (not just at install time).
    • Product Catalog will now automatically update to ensure catalog changes become available without any user initiated action being required.
    • Daylight savings time changes will now be correctly handled for scheduled tasks.
    • Email notifications can be sent whenever a new LUA version is available, relevant catalog changes occur and as an early warning in advance of large monthly content downloads.
    • Enhanced content purging to ensure it works reliably, even if an external 3rd party source (e.g. robocopy) is also accessing the content. 

What's new in LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171578

How to obtain the latest version of Symantec LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA) 2.x

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH134809

• 2.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 03, 2012 05:03 PM

@Chetan from where can I download the LUA 2.3.2. on the file share website  I see only 2.3.1 version.

• 3.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2012 02:56 AM

Hi Vicky,

The installation file will be included on the SEP 12.1 RU2 DVD’s. SEP 12.1 RU2 may release at the end of this month.

However if you need it prior to this release then please call support & they will provide required credentials to download it from the fileshare.

• 4.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 05, 2012 11:49 AM

Downloaded and upgraded my LUA server from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2.

After rebooting and attempting to run my schedules, I cannot get past this failure:

Download task 130 'SEP Nightly Download' has failed to complete.

Total size of files in request: 1291 MB.
    Percentage Complete: 74%.

Elapsed: 0 hour(s),9 minute(s) 45 seconds.
    Started: 10/5/12 9:27:58 AM MDT
    Ended: 10/5/12 9:37:43 AM MDT

Further detail on the failures is provided below.

Server Location: Symantec LiveUpdate.
    Failed file transfers: 34
    Successful file transfers: 1002
    Reason for failure: Connection failure.

While I have gotten very used to rebuilding my LUA server, I was hoping there was another solution. Delete some files, change the source server, etc...

Yes I'm going through a proxy, but it has worked flawlessly for many months.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mike

• 5.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 07, 2012 09:37 PM

yes that is correct, I have installed LUA v 2.3.2 successfully.

I got it by emailing enterprise_support@symantec.com and then Once you have downloaded the utility, please follow the instructions outlined in the following document.

Title: 'Best Practices for LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA) 2.x'
    Web URL: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH93409

Title: 'Installing and Configuring LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x)'
    Web URL: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102701

• 6.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 08, 2012 09:55 AM

So for whatever reason this new version of LUA is pounding our external firewall (and our firewall is responding by cutting off LUA at the knees) in a way it has not done in the past. This is happening on all of the Symantec source servers using port 80. If I switch to ONLY use the FTP Failover Server on port 21, then all seems to work. At least my downloads all worked.

Not sure what changed internally with LUA 2.3.2, but from a corporate perspective it feels more aggresive.

-Mike

• 7.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 08, 2012 10:05 AM

Hi Mike,

Cheers for the feedback. Can you elaborate on "pounding" - do you mean more traffic or more threads?

SEP 12.1 has increased the size of  the downloads since the beginning of August.  That would have been comign down with LUA 2.3.1 as well as 2.3.2 though.

• 8.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 08, 2012 10:54 AM

Hi Mick,

Sorry for my vague reply.

Without getting too specific, ~60% of the traffic from the LUA server is ignoring the directive to use our proxy server and going directly to our firewall. I've used a few different proxy servers at my disposal and all exhibit the same result. The "pounding" is the fact that the traffic appears to the firewall at all...with the proxy set, I assume it shouldn't. This is ONLY when LUA is going to the Symantec HTTP Source Servers, the FTP Source Server does not seem to be affected. I guess it's possible I have the source servers and proxy misconfigured, but since it had been working just fine, I didn't think so.

Yes I'm aware that 12.1 and now 12.1 RU2 both added some volume to my downloads...2.3.1 was handling it all, for the past month or so, without issue.

If I can get you any logs to look at, just let me know.

-Mike

• 9.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 08, 2012 11:55 AM

From where i can get the Bug fixes in this version.

• 10.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 08, 2012 12:05 PM

Hi Prem,

The changes for each version are listed in the following article:

What's new in LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
    Article:TECH171578   |  Created: 2011-10-11   |  Updated: 2012-09-17   | 
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171578 

The improvements in 2.3.2 are listed above by Chetan.

• 11.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 08, 2012 12:10 PM

Thanks Mike - that's not come to my attention before, so I'd like to take a look at your config and the logs from that LUA 2.3.2 server, if possible.  Can I ask you to open a case with Tech Support and PM me the number?

The most interesting items to look at will be the exported configuration from the server and the luadebuginfo.zip file that can be generated from the product GUI.  A SEP Support Tool from teh LUA server and the firewall logs which show connections directly from the LUA server (and the specific files it's requesting) would also be useful.

Here's a couple articles on how those LUA materials can be gathered:

How to backup and restore LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA) configuration in LUA 2.3
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159239

How to Collect Troubleshooting Information from LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92654    

Thanks in advance!!!!

• 12.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 08, 2012 07:35 PM

Yes, that is really helpful, especially the following feature:

Enhanced content purging to ensure it works reliably, even if an external 3rd party source (e.g. robocopy) is also accessing the content. 

• 13.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 10, 2012 04:45 PM

Just a couple updates to this thread: 

One thing that I have done, since file sizes have gotten so large, is started to recommend increasing the Server Connection values in Configure - Properties.  These, for instance, eliminated a lot of download failures for one customer:

TIMEOUT: 120 seconds
    RETRY: 5
    RETRY INTERVAL: 10 seconds

Here's a good article on how to export the event log in LUA:

How to Export the LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server Event Log
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO61146 

• 14.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 11, 2012 04:05 PM

As a test, I changed the timeout, retry and retry interval settings to 120, 5 and 10 respectivly.

I attempted a download and at 99% while "saving updates", the job failed.

I then restarted the LUA Apache Tomcat service and tried the download again, this time, the job completed. smiley

While I'm hesitant to call this a fix because the download size was relatively small, it is a step in the right direction (it didn't fail).I'll watch our daily downloads for the next few days and see how things go.

Thanks for the tip Mick.

-Mike

• 15.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 13, 2012 08:22 AM

I've put this and some other tips together into a new article: check it out!

LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server Connection Recommendations

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/liveupdate-administrator-2x-server-connection-recommendations

• 16.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 13, 2012 08:25 AM

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/liveupdate-administrator-2x-server-connection-recommendations

• 17.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 13, 2012 10:01 AM

(Apologes for this duplicate: was getting "Gateway Timed Out" errors when posting.  Admin, please delete and deduct the point.  Thanks!  Mick)

• 18.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 15, 2012 09:30 AM

Sadly, every job after the success above failed. Switching my source servers back to FTP had got me going again.

-Mike

• 19.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 17, 2012 04:18 PM

Ok...looks like we have a SUCCESS!!

Well I was thoroughly skeptical, but adding the timeout information above, and these additional settings:

The second place to change settings is in the file ...\Symantec\LiveUpdate Administrator\tomcat\webapps\lua\WEB-INF\classes\lua_static.properties - lua_static.properties can be opened in notepad, textpad or your favorite text editor. I recommend updating the following values to increase the number of retries and period between retries:

download.retry.corruptFile=3
    download.resume.corruptFile.retry=10
    download.retry.corruptFile.sleep.msec=20000
    download.http.header.acceptRanges=bytes

Do be sure to restart the LUA Tomcat service in order to reflect these changes.  Those changes will not go into effect until Tomcat restarts!

Seemed to have resolved my issues. Using the "LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server Connection Recommendations" Mick posted above has made all the difference.

Thanks Mick!!

-Mike

• 20.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 17, 2012 07:30 PM

thanks for sharing the solution here Mr. ADmin !

• 21.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 18, 2012 04:28 AM

Glad to help, Mike!  Many thanks for updating the thread with your results.  &: )

• 22.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Oct 26, 2012 06:05 AM

I am currently running LUA 2.3.1.82 and when i try to install 2.3.2 the installer just informs me that LiveUpdate Administrator is already installed and won't do anything

• 23.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Nov 11, 2012 10:03 PM

Hm.. that soudns strange, I can just inline upgrade the LUA server from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 without any issue.

How about trying to uninstall the old version of LUA if I were you.

• 24.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Nov 15, 2012 07:09 AM

Another issue i have had 4 times now when upgrading from 2.3.1 is that despite the upgrade appearing to complete successfully, when i attempt to browse to the login page i simply get the following returned:

The page you tried to access does not exist.

• 25.  RE: LUA 2.3.2 is now available

Posted Nov 15, 2012 07:14 AM

Hi Alex,

You are probably best opening a case with Technical Support for an issue as serious as that. 

If you have exported the LUA 2.3.1's config settings beofre starting the upgrade, you can uninstall LUA and perform a new, clean install.  Then just import those settings and all should be well, though you will need to download the files once again.

Hope this helps!

Mick