Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

• 1.  LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Dec 09, 2008 04:09 AM

Out of the blue I receive "LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates" errors.

Eventlog shows me the following errors:

Event id 16: Download of virus definition file from LiveUpdate server failed. 00000001

Event id 16: Manual LiveUpdate failed to download Virus Definitions.

Opening Symantec LiveUpdate in Control Panel gives error "LiveUpdate could not access its settings. Error Code: 0x00000000"

Have not been able to fix this error so far.

This PC is running on Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (latest updates), has a Intel Quad core Q6600 with 4Gb of mem. Uninstall and reinstall of Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.21.1.1000 has no effect. Errors remain. Tried to delete the liveupdate.settings file, no effect.

Strange thing is that is did function after clean install of this PC which means that something must has changed so that LU fails now.

UAC is enabled, SAV installation has been done from an administrator cmd prompt.

Any idea anyone?

• 2.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Oct 11, 2009 12:18 AM
    i have a similar problem with norton internet security online. my vista is 32 bit

• 3.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Oct 11, 2009 01:26 AM
    Hi Astroheart,

Just wanted to let you know that you posted in the SEP forums, which is a seperate and different product from the Norton products. You are more likely to find your answer in the Norton forums found here http://community.norton.com/norton/. Also just to let you know, you should try not to tag your post on the end of other peoples posts (especially one that is this old). The reason I say that is because our forums only let you post things like screen shots or log files if you are the thread owner.

Thanks,
    Grant

• 4.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Oct 13, 2009 08:23 AM
    Hi Edwink,

Here's an article which deals with a error on the SEPM.  The error code in that article's screenshot is a little different, but its suggestions (bypassing the proxy, reinstalling LU, etc ) are likely also applicable to SAV 10.2.

LiveUpdate fails with an Error: LU1803

Bypassing a hardware firewall may also help, if one has been put in place.

Also see this one:

Error: "Download of virus definition file from LiveUpdate server failed. 00000001" when LiveUpdate runs on a Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition server

There are likely be be additional helpful messages in the Windows Application Events logs.  Do previous update attempts succeed?  Do subsequent update attempts work?  Even better material will be found in the log.liveupdate- that will be able to tell a Technical Support Engineer what exactly the problem is.

From where exactly does this SAV 10.2 computer receive its updates?  Is it from the Internet?  From an internal LUA 2.x server?

Final note:  10.21.1.1000 is pretty old at this stage.  I do recommend migrating to the latest available MR for 10.2 (MR3) to take advantage of the latest improvements and enhancements.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 5.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates
    Best Answer

• 6.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Nov 13, 2009 05:22 AM
    hey  coveman.  thanks.  that link totaly fixed what was wrong.  and it took less then 2 min.  i really appreciate that. I actually subscribed to this to thank you.  thanks again

• 7.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Nov 22, 2009 04:00 PM
    Thanks, Coveman, for the link. It worked with endpoint.
    Lyera

• 8.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Dec 15, 2009 01:59 AM
    coveman, thanks a lot.  The link you provided helped me in solving this problem.   I went through the trouble of registering to this forum just to say "THANKS!!!"

• 9.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Apr 29, 2010 06:32 PM

The tool is not working on Win7. It did not delete the files nor reinstall LU.

• 10.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted Apr 29, 2010 06:36 PM

It did not work on win7 buddy. Do you have another link for Win7 tool for LU1803 error?

• 11.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted May 03, 2010 06:23 PM
    Tool doesn't work for server 2008, or xp. I have this problem on two of the machines I have been monitoring. I have ran this tool on another machine it worked fine, but for these it doesn't work. Any other tools or easy fixes?

• 12.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted May 07, 2010 05:33 AM

Yup, it doesnt work on Win7. Come on guys, we need a solution for this. Dodgy antivirus issues are no joke! Not being able to update virus definitions is pretty serious. Thanks to everyone actively involved in this.

• 13.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted May 07, 2010 06:14 AM

This solution worked for me on Windows7.

Make a registry change as detailed here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/pt-br/forums/rollback-issue-fix-works-windows-7-sep-1105
    Reinstall Liveupdate.

• 14.  RE: LiveUpdate fails with LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates

Posted May 11, 2010 06:02 PM

This is a keeper baby. It works.

Thanks,
    Bobo