Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Posted Jul 12, 2012 09:50 AM

In SEP 11, when I created a package, it would always contain old definitions.  For instance, even if I create an install package on June 1st, the definitions could be from April 1st.

If I create an install package in SEP 12.1 and select "All Content"...does the SEPM create the package with old definitions, or does it create it with the most recent definitions available?

• 2.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 12, 2012 10:00 AM

Hello,

To Answer your Question, when SEP version 12.1 clients are deployed with Packages from SEPM, these packages are created with Latest definitions in it.

So as soon as SEP clients gets installed, the clients are installed with latest definitions.

Now, incase, these clients are Mobile machines, and then connect to the SEPM for definitions however, say incase, they are unable to fetch the entire downloads, then the next time it downloads it would download the same definitions again. 

It would fetch those days definitions which have not been received by Clients.

Here are few Article for you:

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1: Installing the Manager for the first time and deploying clients

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163580

Creating custom client installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console version 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165801

Also, 

See About the types of threat protection that Symantec Endpoint Protection provides.

See Configuring client installation package features.

After installation, you can enable or disable the protection technologies in the security policies.

See About enabling and disabling protection.

See Performing tasks that are common to all security policies.

Reference: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-deployment-packages

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2012 10:31 AM

Hi,

If I create an install package in SEP 12.1 and select "All Content"...does the SEPM create the package with old definitions, or does it create it with the most recent definitions available?

-> Yes, it does create with the most recent definitions available with SEPM.

SEP 12.1 has many more new features compare to SEP 11. This is one of them.

Check this article to know more differences:  http://bit.ly/JpDR3U

• 4.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Posted Jul 12, 2012 10:36 AM

I created an install package with "All Content."  I copied that package to a machine with no network connection.  I installed the package and rebooted.

When I open SEP, under Virus and Spyware Protection it says "Waiting for updates."  Proactive Threat Protection says June 20, 2012, and Network Threat Protection says July 10, 2012. 

Why does Proactive Threat Protection and Network Threat Protection have definitions, but Virus and Spyware Protection does not?

• 5.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 12, 2012 01:36 PM

Hello,

Could you try Restarting the client machine and check again.

Hope that helps!!

• 6.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Posted Jul 12, 2012 04:45 PM

I rebooted and I still have the same problem.

• 7.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Posted Jul 12, 2012 05:08 PM

Is the SEPM itself upto date ? Or rather was it upto date when deploying the client packages ?

• 8.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 13, 2012 07:39 AM

Hello,

I agree with the comment above.

The packages would have updated definitions only when the SEPM had latest definitions on them during the package creation.

Was the SEPM updated with Latest definitions during the package creation?

Hope that helps!!

• 9.  RE: Initial Definitions in SEP 12.1 Install Package

Posted Jul 13, 2012 11:47 AM

I rebuilt the package and it works now.  Thanks.