Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Posted Sep 01, 2010 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,

I researched all DLP documents ( manuals, forums, etc) but I didnt find How to block/prevent to move/copy/write file from  my fileserver to any workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard.

Anybody Know How to do?

• 2.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Posted Sep 01, 2010 02:05 PM
    What modules do you have installed?
    What you need to do, is to use the Endpoint Prevent module and monitor local hard drive,
    when a user tries to copy a file to his hard drive, it will be scanned and would be blocked if it violates the policy.
    You can't use the Network Discover/Protect to deny the copy of files to endpoint machines.
    Kind Regards,
    Naor Penso

• 3.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Posted Sep 01, 2010 02:33 PM

Hi Naor thanks for answer quickly.  Symantec Data Loss Prevention Standard only operates on endpoint computers using Endpoint Prevent and can detect data transfers of: Removable media devices; IM; HTTP/HTTPS;  Email/SMTP; FTP;  CD/DVD; Print/Fax; Clipboard.

My questions is I can detect transfers to Desktop/laptops hard Disk? I guess that is no possible...

best Regards

• 4.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Posted Sep 02, 2010 03:02 PM
    Check if you also have "monitor local hard drive",
    if you are using the Endpoint Prevent than you should have this option on the Settings of the server on the Enforce platform.

• 5.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Posted Sep 02, 2010 05:06 PM

yes is check,

But when I build the detection rule I can't choose local drive the only options I have (destinations), are:

- cd/dvd
    - removable sotrage device
    - printer/fax
    - Clipboard

Regards

• 6.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2010 11:20 PM

Your need is: install DLP agent on your guest OS, then prevent to move/copy/write file from the guest to the virtual-machine that installed by VMware Workstation?

As far as I know, this is impossible. A virtual-machine installed by VMware Workstation is likely another Operating System. Unless you install DLP agent on the virtual-machine of VMware Workstation too.

• 7.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 14, 2010 02:15 PM

Endpoint prevent currently only 'Monitors' the local volume on your endpoints.

We currently do not block data going to local volumes - i.e user copying files from network share to C:\. However, if the agent  is configured to 'monitor local drives' - you would get incidents from the violating documents they copied.

Regards

Steve

• 8.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Posted Sep 27, 2010 02:07 PM

Currently DLP will only monitor local drives (UNC) copies. Exception is if the protocol used to copy is http - and then will be prevented.

Regards,

• 9.  RE: How to prevent to move/copy/write files to workstation with DLP 10.5 Standard

Posted Sep 29, 2010 02:28 AM

This is realy nice content.