Network Access Control

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

John Santana

John SantanaSep 26, 2012 09:03 PM

• 1.  How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 18, 2012 09:49 PM

Hi,

Can anyone please assist me in locating and importing the latest SNAC package for the latest client version 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

AS I ahve just upgraded the SEPM into v 12.1 RU1 MP1.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2012 09:58 PM

there is no different package for SNAC, the SNAC component gets installed with the SEP. Once the license is activated you can start the SNAC services and apply HI policy.

you can verify by checking the services.msc for Symantec Network Access Control

• 3.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 18, 2012 10:00 PM

Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 RU1 MP1 Client-only patch

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187646

• 4.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 18, 2012 10:09 PM

Thanks for the response guys,

when I go to the Fileconect website, I got confuse between the following two files:

Filename: Symantec_Network_Access_Control_SE_12.1.1_MP1_Full_EN.exe
    Version: 12.1.1 MP1
    Description: Windows Base Product + Inline Update

Filename: Symantec_Network_Access_Control_SE_12.1_RU1_Full_EN.exe
    Version: 12.1 RU1
    Description: Multi-Platform Inline Update

which one should I download and install in order to get the SNAC enabled for my SEPM v 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

• 5.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 18, 2012 10:12 PM

You can download

Filename: Symantec_Network_Access_Control_SE_12.1.1_MP1_Full_EN.exe
    Version: 12.1.1 MP1
    Description: Windows Base Product + Inline Update

I am already says Same version required

The Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) and Symantec Network Access Control (SNAC) need to be running the same version and build.   

Check this artical.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO31159

Check this thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/snac-install-confusion

• 6.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2012 10:22 PM

is it upgrade of SEPM or fresh install?

if fresh then ru1 mp1, then you need to check the supported migration guide

SEPM --> 12.1 ru1 ---> 12.1 ru1 mp1.

• 7.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2012 10:27 PM

also check this thread. and specific replies from Elisha

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep11-snac-11-upgrade-sep-121

• 8.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 18, 2012 10:36 PM

Pete it was after the upgrade of the SEPM,

now as I understand is that I must keep the version of SEP client and SNAC client the same as the SEPM server, hence I create this thread to make sure which one that I need to install.

• 9.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2012 10:50 PM

yes, :-). if everything's on SEP 12.1 RU1 then download RU1 mp1 if you are going to upgrade.

• 10.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 19, 2012 01:19 AM

Thanks for the clarification Pete, somehow the Product description says that it is "Network Access Control Starter Edition"

• 11.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2012 01:22 AM

Self-Enforcement is the only SNAC enforcement option that is included with SPS EE. If you want to do any other kind of enforcement (such as NAP, Gateway, or LAN) they need to license SNAC, either Starter Edition or full as appropriate.

the others will be appliance for DHCP, Gateway.

• 12.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 19, 2012 01:58 AM

Hm... that is why I'm confused, why the latest edition of my SNAC server is just the starter edition not the proper full license as in my SNAC v 12.1 RU1 ?

I'm going to use SNAC to prevent the computer in using Wireless LAN Controller or any USB WLAN adapter while connected to the network, I guess that I'll need LAN enforcer :-|

• 13.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2012 02:07 AM

the license for appliance is different.

You can still use the SEPM host integrity policy, however check if it meets, if not then you should be thinking of LAN enforcer or DHCP.

check the implementation guide

• 14.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?

Posted Sep 26, 2012 09:03 PM

thanks guys !

• 15.  RE: How and where can I add new SNAC package for the latest 12.1 RU1 MP1 ?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:00 AM

Great topic discussion gentlemen. But I am still not following the entire big picture here in reference to Host Integrity validation for any host on the network. Here is my situation that I would like to address. We recently attempted to upgrade to 12.1 - didn't work. We are planning a new install this thursday with an embedded DB. This is what I would like to do and don't know the best way to:

1. I need to verify Host integrity for my wireless users before I allow them on the network. Do I enforce validation at the DHCP or do I do it at the client that is installed on their laptop. What if they don't have the client installed

2. I need to verify Host integrity on the wired side which does not have a DHCP (everything is static). Can it be done some other way without any impact to the existing network.

3. Can I keep the two separate without impacting too much.

Thanks.