Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Migration User

Migration UserMay 02, 2009 06:46 AM

• 1.  How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 07, 2009 02:03 PM

I just upgraded from CSAV 10.1 to SEP 11. I guess because of the way I upgraded, SNAC was not included. I can't find evidence of it anywhere (except for the fact that the SNAC service now exists on my W2K3 server, but is stopped).

So, how do I add SNAC 11? Can I buy just the SNAC component?

Secondly, once I buy SNAC, how do I install it/add it? I believe the clients don't need to change... correct? So, how do I get SEPM to start showing me the new policy?

Any and all help is greatly appeciated!

Charlie

• 2.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 08, 2009 03:12 PM

The SNAC component is downloaded as a separate program.  If you have bought this then just enter your serial number into fileconnect and download it.  If not, speak to your Symantec account manager.

You will then need to run the setup.  Once installed, the SNAC policy tab appears in the SEPM.

• 3.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 08, 2009 04:55 PM

Thanks. I did buy SNAC and I am waiting for the serial number.

I guess it ends up installing an updated SEPM? ... and voila, you get a Host Integrity Policy and an SNAC tab on the clients? Correct?

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 04:14 AM

That's exactly right.

Make sure you have the right version though...

Last week I tried to install SNAC onto my SEPM which is running 11.0.4014.26 but the latest SNAC component available for download was 11.0.4010.19.

It didn't install as a message appeared saying that the version of SEP was too new.

Hopefully Symantec will have updated this now...

• 5.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 09, 2009 04:54 AM

Yeah, You just have to paste the license file inside the licenses folder and restart the SEPM service. That activates the SNAC part for SEPM.

• 6.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 07:44 AM

Sandeep,

Thanks! I had the issue JLP mentioned. My SNAC is 11.0.4010.19 and it refused to install over 11.0.4014.26. My solution was to install SNAC first then SEPM over SNAC. It worked, but your solution is probably the best way to go.

I am having a couple of other issues now that are driving me nuts.

First of all, I am running SEPM 11 and SEP on an older DC that has a single core Intel P4 with 2GIG of RAM (SAVC 10.1 ran just fine thank you). It runs OK when I just have SEPM running, but as soon as I install the client (to protect the server), my CPU useage goes off the scale. It gets so bad that the DC stops serving up AD and my Exchange 2K7 server drops out intermittantly. I really don't want to build another box for SEPM (I assume that the client will run by itself on the DC without giving the DC a coronary!). Is there a way to control the CPU useage? It seems worst when Liveupdate runs. I have nothing else running on the DC except for SEPM ... and SEP. I have tried a few tweaks.

I can't find the client creation files which were created during install of SEPM (the defaults). What default directory will they be in and what will they look like?

Thanks for all the help and advice. I really d like SEPM and SEP ... as do my users..... if I can get it running reliably we'll all be happy.

• 7.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 09:38 AM

Though the mdef25builder has been solved since MR2 but have a look at the thread

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-11-mr2-mdef25builderexe-still-over-50-cpu

Also.What process(smc.exe, smcgui.exe, rtvscan.exe) takes the chunk of CPU?

• 8.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 10:19 AM

Wow. right on point. I'll modify the file with the .5 or .1 and see what happens. I am also going to up the CPU from a 2.4 to a 3.06 ... if I can find an inexpensive replacement. I already maxxed the RAM at 2gig. May take me a couple of days.

LUCOMS~1.EXE and LUCALLBACKPROXY are the two big culprits. SMCSVC also.

Can you also tell me where the default client files reside on SEPM? They were created at install. Now I can't find them to create new modifed installs.... I am asked to point to them during creation.

Thanks again!!!!

Charlie

• 9.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 10:38 AM

OK. I added the line scm.delta.cpu.usage=0.5 with no affect. I just restarted the service for SEPM.... do I need to reboot? Think I should try the ".1" entry instead?

When we click to update using Live Update in SEPM, we get:

LUCOMS~1.EXE              48%

LUCALLBACKPROXY       32%

LUCATALOG.EXE            20%

Oh well....

Thanks!

Charlie

• 10.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 11:09 AM

Based on your CPU usage, it looks like you are seeing CPU spikes during the LiveUpdate to SEPM download cycle. The scm.delta.cpu.usage option only applies to the update cycle for SEPM to clients. Also, if you are running MR3(?) or definitely MR4 or later on both servers and clients, this option will have no effect because of a positive change in those clients and servers. SEP switched to a different and extremely faster delta generation, effectively making the scm.delta.cpu.usage option unnecessary.

Back to your problem: Unfortunately, I am not sure what to suggest. I know that we have some ideas on how to ease the burden hopefully to an acceptable usage, but those are not yet released. They are in the plans, I am hopeful for MR5. I just cannot comment on when they will be released (or my hands will get slapped :-) ). Sorry not to have anything to suggest other than, what I don't like to suggest: more hardware in the mean time. Maybe some others have some altnerative ideas.

• 11.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 12:03 PM

Thanks anyway!

I am humored by the predicament I find myself in. I appreciate the honesty.

I am using MR4 MP1 and find it hard to believe that 10.1 ran so well, yet 11 doesn't.

Our situation can't be unique, especially in these economic times when the purchase of hardware isn't as easy as it used to be (Googling the issue certainly found some emotional folks on the CPU % issue!). Besides, we have more than met the required minimums. This box is running NOTHING but SEPM 11. Very weird.

So, if you think MR5 will solve the issue, then maybe I should dump SEPM until it is out and go back to 10.1 or FCS (we use FSE)? I'd hate to do it because I love the SEPM concept. Hey, I just purchased SNAC to boot! Can you give me a ballpark on the timing? Weeks? Months? Any possibility of doing a beta with Symantec?

Thanks.

Charlie

• 12.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 12:52 PM

I hate to see you revert your SEPM, but understand the problems you are running into. I'll check into the beta question for you.

• 13.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 09, 2009 01:45 PM

Greatly appreciated!!!  I/we have Beta'd other products and would be willing to document every step.

Charlie

• 14.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 02:37 AM

Liveupdate taking a lot of CPU should not be disturbing. It's always been like that. If it runs too often, that can be a problem. Check for your settings for the liveupdate to run.

• 15.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 08:24 AM

Sandeep,

Unfortunately it is an issue. This is an old DC that had a single core P4. When the CPU usage pegged, the DC stopped serving up AD and we get errors on our Exchange server.

I changed out the CPU to something faster and that seems to have 2 cores. Now, although the CPU usage does hit 100%, it doesn't stay there for very long and the AD services are not affected.

BTW, I can't find the default client install packages that were created at installation time of SEPM. Can you point me to them?

Thanks.

• 16.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 08:35 AM

The ideal workaround over here is to schedule the liveupdate at a time when like 5 in the morning when it's being used much. I think the installation packages by default should be in your documents(My Documents).

• 17.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 09:33 AM

Nothing in My documents. Any other ideas?

Also, just curious. I deleted my SNAC install packages after I updated to full SEPM. LU still tries to update the SNAC packages and then indicates "update failed". This makes sense since the packages no longer exist (we just have full SEPM packages). How do I get LU to stp trying to update the deleted packs?

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.

• 18.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 11:58 AM

Are you trying to get the SNAC packages back into the server database? I would think you should be able to 'import' them via the console from the CD. ... However, I have never tried it personally ... so some pretty big disclaimers apply :-)

• 19.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 02:48 PM

Humble,

Nope. I first installed SNAC 11. I then purchased and installed SEPM 11. 4014.26 over it. I found that I ended up with 2 extra client install packages when I was done . . . the SNAC only client packages (from when I only had SNAC). SO, under "Client Install Packages", I deleted the 2 I didn't need. Well, LU still tries to "update" the 2 deleted packages .... and they obviously fail to get updated (see photo).imagebrowser image

As you can see, the SNAC packages "failed" because, I assume, I deleted them and they don't exist in SEPM!

How do I stop LU from continuing to try and mess with and update them????

Everything else seems to working well.....

Thanks again for all the help and advice!!!

Charlie

• 20.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 03:08 PM

Okay, now I understand. Yea, I am not really sure. I am checking to see if there is a way to fix that.

• 21.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 03:51 PM

I hope you have a solution.... The only thing I can figure out to do is uninstall everything and start the process over again.... but this time don't delete the SNAC install packages. What a PIA this will be. I'd say this is a frigging "bug"........

Charlie

• 22.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 04:06 PM

Yea, I would have to agree. I am checking on how we can track this for a fix in a future update. Still waiting on response for a workaround.

• 23.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 04:24 PM

Since I am kind of new to this, the feedback I got is that the proper way to handle this is to follow up with support on this. Sure sounds like a bug to me. By talking to support that gets it properly tracked and they may have a workaround.

• 24.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 10, 2009 05:24 PM

If you are looking to simply get the error off the page, you can turn off the client updates. You can set this at Admin > System > Site Properties > LiveUpdate > Select Content to Download > Uncheck "Client Updates". This will have the effect of no longer requesting any client updates, both SNAC and SEP. As long as you are watching your connect site for new clients, this is probably a reasonable workaround.

• 25.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 11, 2009 07:02 AM

Jim2,

Can you say moron? I am such an idiot!..... For some reason I thought this option brought the def updates down too ...... I get it now. This controls client program updates....

Question. I could care less about the error showing up on the status screen (failed to update, etc.)....but, does the error cause LU to keep retrying? The only reason I would do this "work around" is if LU is continuously retrying to update the failed SNAC clients.

According to the documentation, I should be able to add the deleted clients back (in that they still exist on the disk somewhere . . . since I just "removed" them from SEPM under ADMIN > Install Packages. Question is, "where the heck are they?" . I can't find 'em!!!!!

Thank you for the help!

Charlie

• 26.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 11, 2009 08:14 AM

Thanks anyway!

I am humored by the predicament I find myself in. I appreciate the honesty.

I am using MR4 MP1 and find it hard to believe that 10.1 ran so well, yet 11 doesn't.

Our situation can't be unique, especially in these economic times when the purchase of hardware isn't as easy as it used to be (Googling the issue certainly found some emotional folks on the CPU % issue!). Besides, we have more than met the required minimums. This box is running NOTHING but SEPM 11. Very weird.

-----------------------------

NOT weird. SEP is costing us a ton of CPU on servers and workstations. The servers, TWO of them, managing only 300 users, having 3 gig RAM each, PEG at 100% CPU every so often, it appears when running LU.

I find folks complaining they will be typing in Word and it will take 20 seconds for their typing to show. A Task manager report shows that SEP is doing some funky LU processes and it's pegging the CPU, taking a lot of CPU cycles. This happens every so often on the computers. LU is a huge resource hog. And I don't get that! THe clients should be doing LU to the SEM servers and it should go FAST. SAV 10.xx hardly even burped when it got its updates.

Bottom line, LU processes seem to really task the CPU and take RAM. I can show it, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, task list, and show running process and sort by either memory or CPU and in almost each case, I find the LU processes at the top of the list on a slow computer. Sometimes it takes a restart to solve it.

• 27.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 11, 2009 11:41 AM

Charlie> Question. I could care less about the error showing up on the status screen (failed to update, etc.)....but, does the error cause LU to keep retrying? The only reason I would do this "work around" is if LU is continuously retrying to update the failed SNAC clients.

LU will run as per your schedule. Every time LU runs, it will try and fail to get SNAC updates. But really that doesn't matter. In essence, there is no change to the LU behavior other than never being able to get SNAC standalone packages. Remember that the SEP client includes the SNAC functionality. So, if you have SEP clients installed and deployed with a SNAC license at SEPM, you have SNAC functionality avialable in your environment.

Charlie> According to the documentation, I should be able to add the deleted clients back (in that they still exist on the disk somewhere . . . since I just "removed" them from SEPM under ADMIN > Install Packages. Question is, "where the heck are they?" . I can't find 'em!!!!!

In all honesty, I would just ignore the error and not worry about it. If you are concerned, you would have to get the matching SNAC download via FileConnect.

ShadowsPapa,

Yea, we have received this feedback load and clear by many customers. We are working on the problem with short term usage reductions and, for clients, longer term bigger changes.

• 28.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 11, 2009 11:51 AM

Will adding a CPU to the SEM servers make a hoot of difference? Or just wait for the next exciting episode coming soon to a file connect near us?

Virtual servers so adding a CPU is like a 5 minute process.

• 29.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 11, 2009 12:35 PM

Adding a CPU to a virtual computer certainly is worth trying out. I can see it providing a benefit, but do not have specific insights.

• 30.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 11, 2009 12:37 PM

Jim,

Thanks! I have already removed the client update from LU, so, the error should go away now. I do have a license for both SNAC and SEPM. I guess the problem/bug occurred becuase of the way we installed . . . SNAC first, then overwrite with SEPM 1014.26. Actually, it is impossible to do it the other way around, I think, using SEPM MR4-MP1A. Right now the version of SEPM within SNAC is lower than SEPM MR4-MP1A . . . so, it will refuse to overwrite SEPM MR4-MP1A. I guess I could use an earlier version of SEPM and then overwrite with SNAC, but why bother?

ShadowsPapa - In our case I upgraded the CPU in the DC (where SEPM resides) and SEPM/LU stopped pegging the CPU utilization (we have a rather old P4 server). It does hit 100%, but for only a second. Not anywhere like before when it was so bad the DC stopped serving up AD. I haven't yet had any client users/computers start "whining", so I am not completely sure what is happening on them. It seems to me (as a novice user) that SEPM does absolutely need to have some kind of feature added so that CPU utilization can be controlled (both in SEPM and SEP). Actually, I think it should be able to self sense/regulate usage. If you meet the minimum requirements . . . none of this should be an issue, ever. I think Symantec understands....now.

I am still happier with SEPM 11 than with FCS..... so far....

Charlie

• 31.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted May 02, 2009 06:46 AM
    It is useful one to use such type of product

• 32.  RE: How to add SNAC to SEPM 11.0.4014.MR4 MP1

Posted May 06, 2009 05:07 PM
    Hi folks,

I appreciate all the good comments, questions, etc.,  IF you do have a CASE ID #, please post it within the forum thread.  This will help us stay on topic, and ensure we work toward a solution for original posters.  In particular, Symantec employees can look up the case, determine status, and continue to work toward a solution for you rather than "rehashing" a conversation you had on the phone with support.

Forums certainly are a terrific place to find solutions, which can often highlight other questions within the same thread.  I'd like to suggest if you have additional questions after the original post is solved, PLEASE mark the solution in the thread - that way other users who find this thread (by using the filters) can go directly to the solution. 

If you find your additional questions are not directly related to the original topic, please post a new thread.  I highly encourage you to post on the "original thread," letting the users know you have additional questions found at the "following" new thread.

Thank you all for your continued support!

Eric