Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost Walker 11.5.1.2266 (SS 2.5.1) causing temporary profile use in Windows 7

Posted May 04, 2010 06:30 PM
    We are running Ghost Walker on our image because Sysprep has limitations in the way we want to be able to do things. We use to use newsid from sysinternal, but that now causes Windows 7 and 2008 R2 to blue screen. So we are using Ghost Walker, which works great but our user profile some how gets corrupted so it loads from a temp user profile. The old one is there, but doesn't load. Tried on different systems with fresh loads of Windows 7 and received the same issue.

• 2.  RE: Ghost Walker 11.5.1.2266 (SS 2.5.1) causing temporary profile use in Windows 7

Posted May 05, 2010 06:39 AM

I'm not certain this is only a Windows 7 problem as I'm getting something similar with Win XP:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ghost-251-not-changing-sid-and-failing-finish-clone

• 3.  RE: Ghost Walker 11.5.1.2266 (SS 2.5.1) causing temporary profile use in Windows 7

Posted May 05, 2010 11:18 AM

We actually never get a failure when trying to run it. Its just after running it we log into Windows and it states that its loaded a temp profile.
    Do you get that message when you log in or just the error you reference in your post?

• 4.  RE: Ghost Walker 11.5.1.2266 (SS 2.5.1) causing temporary profile use in Windows 7

Posted May 06, 2010 12:48 AM
    Hi,

Kartik has done some fantastic job with respect to ghost walker.. Please visit below forum link-

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ghwalk32-kills-vistawin7-ie8

• 5.  RE: Ghost Walker 11.5.1.2266 (SS 2.5.1) causing temporary profile use in Windows 7

Posted May 06, 2010 09:22 AM

That post has nothing regarding profile issues, just IE8 issues.
    I couldn't find anything that came close to apply to this situation.

• 6.  RE: Ghost Walker 11.5.1.2266 (SS 2.5.1) causing temporary profile use in Windows 7

Posted May 06, 2010 03:14 PM
    I had this problem with XP a few years ago. It turned out that I had 2 entries both pointing to the same user profile path. If you go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\

Take a look at each profile path and see if there are duplicates.

• 7.  RE: Ghost Walker 11.5.1.2266 (SS 2.5.1) causing temporary profile use in Windows 7
    Best Answer

Posted May 07, 2010 09:52 AM
    I was able to figure out what was causing the issue.
    It’s actually similar to this issue that was reported: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/32-bit-ghostwalker-and-bartpe-usb-drive

What happens is the volumes are automatically added (which can easily go unnoticed). Also it doesn’t say anywhere that other volumes can’t be included.
    If you pay close attention to the update of the SID when these volumes are added, it runs through it and then brings you back to a command prompt. No message or error. I was assuming at first that meant it was successful and also didn’t notice that when running with the /batch switch. What it was actually doing is running the registry part of the update on the OS partition and then hitting the other volumes and fail without an error. Hence only partly updating the SID on the OS partition.

The reason I figured this out is because I tried it on another computer that had a dual boot it worked, but I had to select the OS because it detected more, but it didn’t auto select any other volumes.

Windows 7 creates a 100 MB partition usually. Also Dell and many other manufacturers have a diagnostic or recovery partition. Any of these will cause it to fail. In Windows 7 this will cause a temporary profile to be loaded for all users. Also whatever implications could be present with only part of a SIDs are updated.
    In Windows XP it also fails and doesn’t report it. The downside is in windows it reports no errors. This could cause long term issues since half of the SIDs are not updated and would be really hard to diagnose.

I still say this is a bug because it doesn’t show an error and I don’t believe it should auto select other volumes.

I will be using the /AV=None switch to only do the OS partition. (Note: The value of None only works in newer versions. Couldn't find it documented, but it works.)