Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Migration User

Migration UserJul 11, 2013 06:27 AM

Migration User

Migration UserJul 13, 2013 01:57 AM

• 1.  Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 03:27 AM

Dear All

How are you, hope your having a great Day :)

I am having a problem with my Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1, 

i had a problem with window so i really needed to reinstall the files for windows to cover the missing file, but when the windows open every thing is there all files but when i click on Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager it give me an error Failed to connect to server and to check my network or server has no time out and or if network issue, i try to repair the Symantec it didnt work i was trying to Data base back up and retore it show me a msg every time i click restore or back up that could not connect to data base, can any one help me please to reconnect all the client back with out removing every thing please.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 03:29 AM

Hi,

Please post scm-server-0 logs

Check same problem thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-connect-server-sep

• 3.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 03:34 AM

Hi,

Please check in below article.

Error when logging to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager: "Failed to connect to server". Unable to start the embedded database service

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH134782

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/failed-connect-server-service-stops-after-restart

• 4.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 04, 2013 10:47 AM

Hello,

In your case, since there were files which were corrupted and you had restore these windows, it seems the SEPM may have got corrupted as well.

There are high chances that you have have to uninstall SEPM and reinstall SEPM.

However, you may upload us the scm-server-0.log and catalina.out logs which may give us a root cause of the isuse.

Hope that helps!!

• 5.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 04, 2013 11:04 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your query.

When you attempted to repair the SEPM what was the error message? Can you try to repair the SEPM with the help of downloaded setup files?

If not helped then need to check scm-server-0.log and catalina.out file.

In worst case if you had to uninstall SEPM but will not have to uninstall SEP clients from end user machines. You can simply restore the client-server communication replacing Sylink.xml.

Total how many clients are there in the network?

How many database backup's you have?

• 6.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 11:17 AM

My first thought is that the windows fix may have wiped out the ODBC connector.  What kind of DB are you using for SEPM?  Is it the embedded one, or one on a separate SQL box?

I reckon you should try running the Management Server configuration wizard to get it connected to a DB again.  Try the restore again after that

• 7.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 04, 2013 11:24 AM

Try a repair from add/remove program first.

• 8.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 04, 2013 12:03 PM

Hi,

This article can be the answer if database is corrupted.

Recovering from a broken install of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager without a database backup and restoring communication with orphaned clients

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH95449

• 9.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 05, 2013 04:05 AM

• 10.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 06, 2013 02:06 AM

Thank you all for your reply, i have found the problem after long search my services was stop so i to:

1) Computer managment 

2) Services and App

3) Services

4) search for Symantec and it was all not running and disable so i enable it and its working, fine.

i can log in fine

but i have another problem the green dot it will come and after a while it will go only after restart it will apper and after few min its gone and also when i try to run Sep-Support Tool or SymHelp it will give me and msg that say ( Unable to launch Symantec Help: Could not load file or assembly 'sorttbls.nlp' or one of its dependencies. the system cannot find the file specified.

Please hlep

thanks

• 11.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 08, 2013 08:25 AM

Hi,

Try to replace the new Sylink.xml file and check the connectivity.

What is the location for Sylink.xml in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1?

If issue continued to occur then need to run the Sylink monitor tool or Sylink debug tool.

The only way to know what is really going on during the communication process is to enable Sylink debugging on a client that is not updating, allow debug logging to run for 10-15 minutes, then disable again. If you like you can attach the log to the thread for review. Collect this logs from any two affected machines.

How to enable Sylink Debugging for Symantec Endpoint Protection in the registry

• 12.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 08, 2013 08:29 AM

Hi,

Agreed with above comment.

Even you can repair the sep, It will be online. Either you can check this with replacing sylink.xml file.

• 13.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 08, 2013 09:24 AM

Hi, 

What is showing on client side ? Weather it is showing offline ?

is client is able to communicate with SEPM ?

have you tried to replace the sylink.xml

Regards

Ajin

• 14.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 08, 2013 12:10 PM

Hi,

Check the following fix id, it's fixed in SEP 12.1 RU3. Do you face the same issue?

Symantec Endpoint Protection clients connect and disconnect with Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager intermittently

Fix ID: 3057712

Symptom: Proxy order of usage does not process as expected.

Solution: Changes to the proxy list mean that the proxy is no longer locked until the service is restarted. The proxy is unlocked when a server changes or goes offline.

• 15.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 11, 2013 06:27 AM

Hi

Please upgrade to SEP 12.1.3

Regards

• 16.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Posted Jul 13, 2013 01:57 AM

how can i fix or change sylink.xml ?

• 17.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2013 02:04 AM

export from sepm console

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157585

• 18.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 02:48 AM

You can export the sylink file from Server.

Right click on the group and export the communication setting.

Save the setting with sylink.xml name.

• 19.  RE: Fail to Connect to server Symantec 21.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2013 01:08 PM

Regarding the error found while running SymHelp...

Unable to launch Symantec Help: Could not load file or assembly 'sorttbls.nlp' or one of its dependencies. the system cannot find the file specified

...this error indicates a possible corruption in .NET.  SymHelp will detect if .NET is installed on a system and run accordingly.  A corrupted .NET could impact any number of things on this system so repairing or re-installing .NET might be something to consider in the future for the system in question should any other issues arise.

Also, for future reference, there is a version of SymHelp (which would have immediately pointed out any service failures if it could have been run) that carries its own .NET and so can avoid issues if the local .NET is corrupted:

Running SymHelp Without .NET

TECH207646