Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint Protection SBS 12.0 - Memory issues

Posted Sep 28, 2011 07:14 AM

We are using Endpoint Protection Small Business Server 12.0 for some months now.

Although it works quite well we are a bit dissapointed about the amount of memory needed to perform the necessary tasks.

This morning we were once again experiencing heavy activity on the server. As a result I had a look at the different processes and their CPU/Memory usage. First I looked at the five most heavy processes;

• dbsrv9.exe (566.412 kb -> at one time peaking over 600mb)
    • store.exe (562.724 kb)
    • w3wp.exe (280.624 kb)
    • w3wp.exe (183.168 kb)
    • iexplore.exe (169.496 kb)

Out of these only one is related to Symantec, but sadly this one is the biggest consumer of memory.

I then searched for other Symantec related processes and found:

• luall.exe (108.512 kb)
    • lucommserver.exe (116.936 kb)
    • lucallbackproxy.exe (at one point more than 400mb — at the moment 7 instances each use between 1mb and 5mb)

So, at times, Endpoint Protection uses up to 1,2 Gb. This is about 20% to 25% of the physical memory present. For a product which is marketed as "the most effective antivirus, anti-malware technologies available in a single, integrated solution" and which "will not slow you down or swallow up system resources." (http://www.symantec.com/business/endpoint-protection-small-business-edition, accessed on October 28th 2011)

I already found some older posts — most of them locked — which point to similar issues, but I can't seem to find a solution in there.

kind regards,

Johan

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection SBS 12.0 - Memory issues

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 28, 2011 07:52 AM

Hello,

What version of SEP 12.0 are you carrying??

Please migrate to SEP SBE 12.1?

Upgrading and migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

Supported Upgrade paths to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

How to upgrade your SEP11 license to SEP12 online

Activating your Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 product license

That may helps you.

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection SBS 12.0 - Memory issues

Posted Sep 29, 2011 03:06 AM

Mithun,

I already had a look into this some weeks ago but was reluctant to install it. I couldn't seem to find a 'new features / fixed bugs' list so I wasn't really able to evaluate if it would be wise to install it right away.

Just talked this through with a colleague of mine and the upgrade is planned for tomorrow afternoon. If needed I will get back to you.

Johan

• 4.  RE: Endpoint Protection SBS 12.0 - Memory issues
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 29, 2011 06:25 AM

Hello,

I would be always happy to assist.

Here is an Article which may help you for almost everything you have ever need during a Migration to 12.1.

Quick Access to Symantec Knowledgebase Articles of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/quick-access-symantec-knowledgebase-articles-symantec-endpoint-protection-121

Hope that helps!!