Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Corporate Antivirus 10.1

Posted Aug 06, 2013 09:28 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on our situation. We are using Corporate Antivirus 10.1 on our server and clients. The software has run great for years. However, it has recently stopped updating. The last update (definitions) that we received was on the 30th of April buy when I run Liveupdate on the server it tells me that the definitions are up to date.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? There doesn't seem to be any updates to our definitions even though we're getting warnings that they're more than 90 days old.

Thank you,

Preston

• 2.  RE: Corporate Antivirus 10.1
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 06, 2013 09:29 AM

It went EOL and no longer receives defs.

End of Life announcement for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition and Symantec Client Security

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178551

Although per this thread, some have received updates

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-av-corporate-101-no-longer-updating

But either way, this is EOL and you should move to SEP.

• 3.  RE: Corporate Antivirus 10.1

Posted Aug 06, 2013 09:32 AM

You should consider moving to SEP 12.1.3 the latest version SAV will not get updates hereafter ,reached EOL

• 4.  RE: Corporate Antivirus 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 06, 2013 09:33 AM

SAV has been EOL for long time, you need to upgrade to the lateste version of SEP.

• 5.  RE: Corporate Antivirus 10.1

Posted Aug 06, 2013 09:52 AM

Thank you for all of the responses.

Looks like it's time to update to the latest and greatest. I will say though that this product has had a very nice life span and has lasted a long time.

Overall we're very pleased with it.

Thank you again,
     Preston

• 6.  RE: Corporate Antivirus 10.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 06, 2013 11:18 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your query.

It might be the possibility that your company had requested virus definitions till the month of April'13 only.

Refer this article to know more about it:

How to request a virus definition extension for Symantec AntiVirus 10.x Corporate Edition beyond its End-of-Support-Life date

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73168

Latest definitions dated 06-08-2013 have arrived for SAV.

Check here: www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=savce

• 7.  RE: Corporate Antivirus 10.1

Posted Aug 26, 2013 09:10 AM

I understand that SAV 10.x is no longer supported but for those that still need definitions, I have a way for your server or stand-alone workstation running SAV 10.x to get updated defs.

Create a folder named “temp” (without quotes) and a folder named “SAV Manual Def Updates” (without quotes) on root of C. If temp folder already exists that’s OK.

Open notepad and copy the following, making sure the line breaks are as shown:

open ftp.symantec.com
    anonymous
    nobody@spammer.com
    cd AVDEFS/norton_antivirus/static
    lcd C:\temp
    bin
    hash
    prompt
    get navup8.exe
    quit

Save the file as “cescript.txt” (without quotes) to C:\SAV Manual Def Updates. When we call the script it will download the master definition file (navup8.exe) from Symantec’s FTP site to C:\temp. Next we will create a batch file that calls the script and extracts the definitions (.xdb) file from navup8.exe, copies it to the local SAV def folder, then deletes navup8.exe when the extraction is complete.

Open a blank notepad file and copy the following, making sure the line breaks are as shown (del /q, etc… is a new line in case it’s hard to tell):

ftp -s:cescript.txt
    call "C:\temp\navup8.exe"
    move "C:\SAV Manual Def Updates\*.xdb" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5"
    del /q "C:\temp\navup8.exe"

Save the file as “cegetter.bat” (without quotes) to C:\SAV Manual Def Updates.

NOTE: You may need to modify the path the .xdb file gets copied to. This example will work if you have a stand-alone SAV 10 client like I do. You can find the path necessary for you from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH100047

Finally, we need to put the batch file on a schedule. Go to Scheduled Tasks in Windows and create a new scheduled task to run the cegetter.bat file. I set mine for Sunday at 10PM. Keep in mind the file is 250MB+ so it may take a while depending on your Internet connection.

Who knows how long this workaround will work since it depends on Symantec’s FTP site and the files they continue to provide but at least you can remain protected for now as you pursue other AV options.

I hope this information is beneficial to some others in the future!

-Mike

• 8.  RE: Corporate Antivirus 10.1

Posted Aug 27, 2013 05:14 AM

"Thumbs up" to the information about SAV 10 going EOL.  To ensure protection of your computers, network and data, I recommend putting SEP 12.1 in place as soon as possible.

Upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.1
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163602