Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

• 1.  Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 16, 2008 11:01 AM
    I am using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 and when multicasting a IBM Thinkcentre image that I recently created I'm getting the error below.  Unicast is working fine but I'm fairly new to working with Ghost support issues and found this forum which seems to be a great source for information.  I read a previous post that said that this may be contributed to the network driver I'm using but what has me confused is that Unicast works fine for this workstation and multicast is working on other images I'm using.  Thanks for any advice you can offer related to this problem. 
    Error Number: (502)

• 2.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 18, 2008 03:17 AM
    Hi,

It is very difficult to think why only one image fails to go through multicasting. The error message indicates that the server connection is dropped.

There is a rare possibility (I have only seen it once) that AV/FW product wrongly assumes the data sequence as a suspected activity and terminate the connection. This does not indicate any issue in the image since the image is most likely compressed so the data stream does not similar to any file in the image. Could you have a look at the FW/AV logs in the server?

If that's the case, easiest solution is to create the image with a different compression, which change the data sequence.

Krish

• 3.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 21, 2008 07:48 AM

Hi Krish,

I took a look at the Anti-virus and firewall logs on the Ghostcast server and found nothing related to the multicasting issue I am having with the IBM Thinkcenter.  I did recently update two images with fast compression off a exisiting image and did two test multicasts with those updated images and they went through successfully. 

I took your advice though and tried the high compression creating a test image with the IBM Thinkcenter.  I setup a multicast session that ran over the weekend.  Both clients appeared when I kicked off the Ghostcast session on Friday but there was a long delay showing any activity on the multicast clients then I had to leave for the day.

When I came in this morning to check the status of these multicast sessions one of the sessions completed and the other one timed out and was displaying waiting for Ghostcast session to start.  So my origional error now isn't showing up but I'm having this timeout issue with one of the clients.  Thank you for your assistance so far and if you have any tips to possibly why this might be happening I thank you in advance for any additional help you can offer.

Ryan

• 4.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 22, 2008 03:18 AM
    Hi Ryan,

According to your description, most likely the issue is not having multicasting enabled/configured in the network. It looks like one client did not connect to the session, and the server is waiting for it to connect. That explains why there were no activities. After the timeout period, it would have proceeded with one client.

When you multicast to more than one machine, did it work before?

Krish

• 5.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 22, 2008 03:17 PM

Hi Krish,

This IBM ThinkCenter workstation is the only computer model I'm having issues multicasting with.  I am using the universal driver file on a USB boot key when I am multicasting this workstation.  I was thinking of checking for updates for the universal driver file because I was thinking maybe the network driver I'm using is causing the workstation to timeout.  I tried using a broadcom ndis2 driver but I get a protocol error when booting the USB boot key.  Thanks for your assistance thus far.  I'm just stumped at what could be causing this multicast issue.

Ryan

• 6.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 22, 2008 03:18 PM

Multicast did work before I didn't answer that in my last post.

• 7.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 23, 2008 03:21 AM
    Hi Ryan,

Usually, BC cards work well with multicasting. I have never seen them failing in this way.

When multicasting is not working, it is more a issue related to network rather than the network card or driver. Do you have any other machines that can do multicast properly in the same network switch (or subnet) as ThinkCenters?

Krish

• 8.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 23, 2008 07:43 AM

Hi Krish,

I am using a IBM X41 laptop image as well for testing on the same subnet for multicasting as the Thinkcenter.  The IBM X41 laptop I am using three images and tested each for multi-casting and it's working fine.  I see your point about it being possibly a network issue, I am wondering if creating a test subnet for the ghostcast server would be a good test. 

Ryan

• 9.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922

Posted Jul 25, 2008 03:16 AM
    Hi Ryan,

Having a test subnet is always useful. Especially if you can change the configuration, it is always help diagnosing issues. However, it is not going to resolve the issue in the production system so there is a balance.

When the image fails in multicasting, how many machines involved in multicast session?

What driver you used to boo the clients?

Krish

• 10.  RE: Connection reset by server with GhostCode 19922
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2008 07:37 AM

Hi Krish,

When the image fails in multicasting I've had up to four clients connected and one or two may image and it has varied with my tests.  I'm using the universal driver to create boot keys which has worked on other machines.

I have been researching the network side of things with my manager and we were trying various things and found that unteaming the Ghostcast servers Nic cards has resolved the multicast issue timeout problem I'm having.  I appreciate your help on this matter and have a nice weekend.

Ryan