Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Dell 760 freezing at "Starting PC Dos..."

Posted May 06, 2010 06:11 PM

Recently upgraded from Ghost 11.0.2 to 11.5.1.2266.  I have an older Ghost Cast boot disk created with 11.0.2 that will boot the Dell 760 using PC Dos and works with out any issues.  I have since tried to create a 11.5.1.2266 boot disk and it hangs at "Starting PC Dos...".  I have read alot of the post and yes if I set the drive in the BIOS to "Legacy" it will boot and run Ghost 11.5.1.2266.  I would perfer not to have to go around and set he BIOS on a few hundread workstions and since the old boot disk worked perfectly I would like to know what has changed to break it in the new version.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    EJH

• 2.  RE: Dell 760 freezing at "Starting PC Dos..."

Posted May 06, 2010 11:08 PM
    EJH,

You will need to use Windows PE for Dell Optiplex 760 machines. The storage controller, the Intel ICH10, is just too advanced for PC-DOS, even in Legacy mode. I would recommend adding these to WinPE and creating a new boot disk:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/sata-drivers-intel-ich9-and-ich10

Thank you,

Randy

• 3.  RE: Dell 760 freezing at "Starting PC Dos..."

Posted May 07, 2010 12:40 AM
    Hi EJH,

Just to add what Randy mentioned , you need to apply the 2269 patch since you may experience hang problem in Winpe because of new AHCI controller in Dell 760 model. Randy, as per Tech Support procedure, you might want to send the link to download the 2269 patch.

• 4.  RE: Dell 760 freezing at "Starting PC Dos..."

Posted May 07, 2010 05:35 PM

Randy/Nitin,

Thanks for the post.  I am willing to try the WinPE but I already have computers running with the PC Dos (As I mentioned before it all worked with the previous version so I am not sure what changed).

As for WinPE I am willing to try but could use some help.  Randy, I downloaded the drivers from the link you sent but I am not sure what to do with them.  Do I just copy the WinPE to something like WinPE_Dell760 and add the storage drivers?  To add for XP do I just give it a name and browse to the dirvers directory and check all the 32-bit OS.  And do the same for the 64-bit OS.

I assume I just then make sure the correct NIC/Storage drivers are selected (by the way does the 760 use the ich9 or  ich10 from the download?).  Can you select to many NIC/Storage drivers?

Nitin you mentioned a patch 2269.  How old is the patch and do I need to contact support.  Is it something that they will (or would have) released in a Live Update?

Sorry if I am asking what is probably very easy quetions but I have been making Ghost MS Dos/PC Dos boot disks for so long anything else is a little foreign.

Thanks,

Erich

• 5.  RE: Dell 760 freezing at "Starting PC Dos..."

Posted May 10, 2010 12:46 AM
    Hi Erich,

This is patch over RTM build of GSS build 2266. We found several issues with AHCI controllers and hence released the patch. Unfortunately it is not availalable through Live Update you need to contact Tech Support for the patch.